Do Green Star Polyps really put out "stuff" that kills SPS??

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Mr.Bubbles, Nov 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr.Bubbles

Mr.Bubbles Astrea Snail

I recently posted and asked which corals would be the best coral to let grow on the back of my nano tanks..and through discussion someone suggested that GSP put off something in the water that kills or inhibits SPS growth...has anyone ever heard of this? Is this true?

2. Click Here!

3. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

4. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I have two tanks a 90 gal that will be 2 years in April and a 54 gal that I purchased from a friend of mine that is about 10 years old. He had no issues with star polyps and matter of fact I got my star polyps from him was I started my 90. We have no issues with sps coral.

As you can see mine is on the back glass.
    Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

5. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

yes star polyps can kill, all coral in my opinion have a defense whether from sting or chemical, star polyps grow very fast once they get started and are very hard to keep in one area like on the back glass, most don't put them in a sps tank, soft coral tanks in my opinion are best for them,:)

6. Mr.Bubbles

Mr.Bubbles Astrea Snail

Very strange.. i have two peices of SPS one is doing fine and other is def weak..both about 5 inches away from gsp..but my gsp patch is HUGE..i hope its not contaminating the water..ive kept gsp for years but i have never had success with SPS..and now that i have L.E.D's i figured i would SPS another go..not much success at this point with no other excuse..water is perfect..weekly water changes..my LFS watches my tank closely..idk..maybe my gsp is too large in 28g to do SPS...

7. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

They definitely release toxins to aid in their drive towards world domination. the "weak" one could be getting a full blast due to the flow.

i have a mutant colony of GSP that has killed several of its neighbors. the neighbor usually starts looking rough or starts dying off as the GSP reaches its edge and then the GSP just grows over it. quite vexing. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Mr.Bubbles

Mr.Bubbles Astrea Snail

I have a a jbj 28g nano cube that has two return flow valves..one on each side..and basically one on each SPS.. this is strange news about one of my fav "glowing" corals...:(

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have a 28 JBJ, back is covered in GSP.

I started having problems with some SPS, slow tissue nicrosis (STN).

Currently all my sps are housed in a 10 gallon tank while I nuke the GSP.

There is no obvious reason why the STN started a few months back, some corals (acropora) are more effected than others like Tortuosa IME.

This is my experience, take it for what you will. GSP is growing on power heads, sides and electrical cords now.

1 person likes this.
  11. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

What do you have for LEDs? I have tried growing sps coral frags with Boost LEDs with no sucess, montipora, arcopora, and others and all have died. Though star polyps and zoas have been fine.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

12. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

I have had them burn some sps, but I have not noticed or ever even heard of this.