Do Fish Eat Rotifers?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Zgetman, Jul 20, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I know that clownfish fry eat rotifers, and you need to have your own harvesting setup when they hatch. But my question is for other fish including adult clownfish. I would like to know if it is a good idea to raise my own rotifers for my tank with just fish in it. I know that corals will eat them, but I don't have any corals yet and wont for some time.

2. Click Here!

3. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Rots are pretty small, so you'd have to have some fry-sized fishes for them to make a difference...save your energy and enjoy your tank.

4. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I had been looking for this answer all over the place and all I could find was fry applications. I found that the same process will raise copepods. So I will probably be raising pods and supplementing to make them a healthy treat for my fish.

5. Greg@LionfishLair

You can raise pods on live phyto, as opposed to culturing rots. We have a good friend who uses this method, but she doesn't use Nannochloropsis, due to its heavy cell wall.

6. sigmoid

sigmoid Astrea Snail

I guess having rots in the system might be good for the corals though...

7. Greg@LionfishLair