do emerald crabs harm corals

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by scooter-2505, Aug 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. colbrunn123

colbrunn123 Astrea Snail

My emerald crab picks and kills my xenia but hey they can pick and kill all they want too..

2. Click Here!

3. scooter-2505

scooter-2505 Fire Worm

I only have one clown in the tank. I wanted to get all my corals before I added anymore fish. I wanted something to sway in the currant plus there's a sweet store here in arkansas that has a really good deal going on the frogspawn. Anybody have any elegance coral as I have heard they are difficult to keep for a long time.

4. scooter-2505

scooter-2505 Fire Worm

I will say the emerald did great on the very small bubble algea problem I had but I'm afraid maybe he has run out of stuff to eat. Will he eat the seaweed sheets?

5. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

He should be perfectly fine. They eat all sorts of algae, not just bubble. If he does ever get hungry, he'll probably pick at the algae sheets, but you probably won't have to worry about that. We have 2 crabs in our 46 gallon, and they have never shown any hunger problems :D Even when they work aside a large clean up crew.

One or two members here have one, but they are definitely picky corals. Otty has one in his 265 gallon, and I believe someone else here has one. If I were you I would avoid those for now...

Frogspawn is super easy to care for, and you can also look at different types of xenia or Green Star Polyps if you want easy to care for and "wavey" as my mom would put it.

6. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

I have never heard of frogspawn stinging fish..
    Frogspawn is a good stepping stone from beginner coral on up.

7. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

I never had either, but I had a friend whose jawfish died of an infection and a very well respected longtime reefer told her that based on pictures it appeared as if it was stung and the only thing she had in her tank that could have stung it was the frogspawn.

No scientific proof, more anectodal.....

8. Click Here!

9. scooter-2505

scooter-2505 Fire Worm

how about the xenia are they fairly easy because they look pretty cool also? or anyone have hammer corals? Trust me, I am soaking up all the information I can get.

10. dorian

dorian Feather Duster

mine lives with the brain...at night upon the lobes and folds, and in the morning he is under it generally facing the the viewer...looks like a Goomba!

11. scooter-2505

scooter-2505 Fire Worm

just figured it out. i target feed the mushrooms with brine shrimp and when the lights go out the crab comes out. under the leds i could see the crab digging the shrimp out of the closed mushrooms. if gets to hurting the mushrooms i will have to remove him. maybe build a refugium and put him in there.