do emerald crabs harm corals

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by scooter-2505, Aug 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scooter-2505

scooter-2505 Fire Worm

I have a newly acquired set of mushroom corals and they didn't seem very happy but they are starting to calm down. Question is about my emerald crab. At night he is all over the rock with mushrooms and they didn't look good. This past week I haven't noticed him on them and they look so much better. Should I consider removing him from the tank?

2. Click Here!

3. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

You should be ok. They do not harm corals. If they do climb over a coral they will close up,but will reopen later

4. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

My emerald does that to my mushrooms all the time. They will get irritated, close up and usually open back up within 15 minutes of him being off of them.

5. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

We have 2 emeralds in our tank, with no harm to any corals done. They're the best bubble algae control you can find, IMO. Ours climb all over the place at night, especially on our GSP colony, and that coral hates it. Closes up every time, but always seems to forgive and forget until it happens again :)

You should be able to live a pretty normal life...even with crabs. ;)

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

IME , their general clambering about does periodically annoy some corals, which react with either a full or partial close down (depends on species)

but as the others have said, I have never experienced any nips of corals from these crabs

Steve

7. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

I was wondering the same thing, i have seen my emerald crab picking at my toodstool from time to time and was worried it would harm it.

8. Click Here!

9. scooter-2505

scooter-2505 Fire Worm

Thanks a lot folks because it has taken a while to get these mushrooms situated where they like. I want to get one type of coral at a time since I'm a beginner and I'm looking at a frogspawn at my lfs. Is this a good choice or is there another type I should look into. All the parameters of my tank on the money and the mushrooms have been going for about a month. By the way it's a 55 gallon with 220 watts vho lighting but am interested in the t5 craze.

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I have never had a problem with E crabs, but some people say that they have had. Just watch them and do what you gotta do.

Luna

11. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

Personally, I like the frogspawn. I have one that has both purple and green tips and it is beautiful. I will say though, that I understand they can sting fish.

12. callumg50

callumg50 Astrea Snail

i had an emerald crab eat some small polyps cant remember what there called though