DIY waterfall algae Scrubber

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by epsilon, Jan 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

Well I sadly have no choice but to use plexiglass, it will be a little pita for the holes but prior to this I'm going to use a turning saw ( used to cut holes in plexiglass) to rough en it up. The plexiglass sheet is .5cm thick however

2. Click Here!

3. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

I dont want to go into it too much on this thread but i dont like the bacteria balance swings it creates. Ive seen them crash a few tanks, probably because they were added too quickly. If used correctly they do their job, but i would not use one compared to the other options available due to the chance they throw something out of wack

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  4. Swisswiss

From what I know... And it's not much. Bio pellets are used for their surface area to host bacteria, the same thing is true for live rock in a more natural way. What scares me with bio pellets is the "crunk" build up on them. Some say rock leech absorbed substances a well, so it's a give and take game. Regardless I trust more a rock than plastic ball...

5. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

Yeah, I've heard negative about bio balls too... I say keep it as natural as possible.

6. Swisswiss

you think a mosquito net would work?

7. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

I imagine it will work but it will probably not be as effective as the roughed up canvas since the net will be smooth.

It it may be more if a viable option than drilling a million holes in thin plexiglass.

Maybe you could use more then one layer too?

I assume you don't have easy access to the canvas?

Wonder how much it would cost to ship a bit out there...

8. Click Here!

9. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

Probably less that 5 bucks... One of us could even pick it up and toss it in a usps envelope for him under that I bet. Unless he's international. Where you from buddy?

10. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

11. Swisswiss

neaawww thx guys thats pretty sweet of you ^_^. ill check at the biggest DIY shop we have here in GVA see if i can find this stuff. planning to set up a dual (L shaped) 40X30cm sheet.

12. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to find it... It's pretty standard stuff at hobby and fabric stores. You know, the types of stores our wives go to but we avoid :)