DIY waterfall algae Scrubber

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by epsilon, Jan 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

Eventually I'd like to plumb in a mangrove tank to the system. Assuming I still need one of these at that point I'd probably have it drain to this and put in a back up over flow just in case. Why run a pump if you don't need to ya know?

2. Click Here!

3. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

struggling with that very thought in my 40/40 setup atm.

4. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

I was excited about mangroves too, but then read numerous post that stated that caulerpa is much more effective at nutrient export than mangroves.

Are you thinking much larger mangrove tank for display purposes?

5. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

Yeah I'd like to grow them out to 5-6' tall if possible and use as a house plant basically. What would be sweet is if I could find an acrylic globe type vase large enough but even if I could looks like it would be well over $200. Think I'll just stick with a cube.

6. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

for the ATS experts out there, im thinking about setting one of these up. would an adequate slice of plexiglass drilled with multiple holes do the trick or is something more pours needed?

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

May I ask why you are so opposed to biopellets?

8. Click Here!

9. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

Can't call myself am expert but goat of not sure how well it would work as plexiglass is pretty smooth. The plastic canvas I used is obviously extremely porous bit I also roughed it up a bit with a blade to give the algae a better grip. I have to ask why you'd want plexi? Plastic canvas costs about 50 cents at your local hobby shop. Can't beat that!

10. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

An interesting question indeed! It would have great light transmission.

I suppose if you put a million tiny holes in it and could rough it up adaquately it would work... Seems like a lot of extra work for probably no real measurable benefit. However, more power to anyone who wants to try it; the construction and efficiency of ATS' is still pretty much in the infancy stages so there really isn't a wrong way, just more or less efficient. ;)

11. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

Something more rigid like plexi might be a lot easier to clean/maintain. On the other hand, you probably do not want to clean it too well.

12. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

Not really... I mean not after things start growing thick on it anyway. Like you said; sure, probably would work but by the time you put that many holes in it I doubt it would be very rigid anymore unless you used like 1/2 inch. Plus all that time, effort, and money compared to .50, a couple zip ties, and vuala!