DIY unusual Refugium

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by RoloSaez, Jun 5, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

Hey RoloSaez, you may want to put a drain pipe in the middle of the fuge. It will allow your water to overflow into your return section through it, instead of flowing over the sides of the 10g tank. Your return section looks a bit small, but you should not have a big problem as long as you have an ATO in there.

2. Click Here!

3. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

The fuge is empty at the moment. I drains off the side and I have to get the water level up higher. The water salinity was so low I didn't want to add more RO water. Mixing a batch of saltwater now. The flow in the fuge will be real slow so I don't think bubbles will be an issue. I'll run the fuge with just water to see How it works. The return section is 20L x 6H x 12W not sure how to figure out how many gallons that is and the fuge is 20L x 14H x 12W failed math in high school.

4. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

The ATO and the water barrel is next. I will monitor it and see how it flows. I'm worried that if I drain pipe in I will have issues with micro bubbles.

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Ok... for the bubble traps, in your pic, the water is falling over the last baffle down about 3 inches. The water in the return section needs to be up higher... but I understand it you did not want to add more water right now. But you do not want to keep it there, because it makes noise and makes more bubbles in the return section.

The fuge looks like it is baffled up top, instead of doing a separate tank like you wanted. Which is fine, but it depends how much water will be in it, and how much level will be over the water in the return section. I do not think the silicone will hold that kind of load like that. Judging from how it looks in the pic.

As far as it draining, that is why it depends where the normal water level will be. From the pic, you can't really tell where it overflows into the return section, and I was trying to figure out how much weight was going to have to be supported by the bottom pane of glass.

From what I think you are saying, it the fuge section overflows at the "end" of the fuge where the bubble traps are. If that is the case, I do not see that lasting very long with that much water above the "water level" of the sump.

6. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Here is another pic maybe it will make more sense.

Attached Files:

• fuge.jpg
      fuge.jpg
      File size:
      153.7 KB
      Views:
  7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Got it. Ya, that is sort of a lot of weight to ask a glass pane to hold... the solution being you need some supports under it which you have put in. Not alt all saying none of it will work... you just need to support it.

So then with how it is, you really only have your skimmer section available to hold return water when you turn off your pumps. Test that out to see that you have enough capacity for drain back.

8. Click Here!

9. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I don't think micro bubbles would be an issue. As you stated your water flow is going to really slow. The water should just run down the sides of the pipe. If you raise your water level the water would have less distance to travel and the bubbles would be trapped in the pipe.

Your baffles need to be the height you want the water in your skimmer section to be, either the first of the last baffle needs to up to your water line. Baffles will determine the running volume in the skimmer section. I know your return section does not meet the surface much and I do not know how that would effect the evaporation from that section. From what I have read, the return section (pump section) is where all the evaporation takes place, and this is where you would want to add your ATO. Maybe someone can hit on this subject a bit more.

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

It actually depends on how high the water level in the 'fuge gets. If it is close to the height of the lowest baffle (the height of water in the section below the 'fuge), then it will have virtually no weight. If it is near the top of it, then I agree, that is enough weight to be concerned about.

All good pickups by you though!

11. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

The water level will be 4" inches higher than the bottom of the fuge. Maybe I can cut some pvc to support that front edge of the fuge. can get much else in there. I figured that the water below the fuge would push the glass upward. When the fuge is full it should equalize the pressure either way wouldn't it? I have silicone on both the top and bottom edge of the glass of the fuge bottom and the side.

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

This is what I was thinking as well. You neither want it to float (have the water level much higher outside the 'fuge than in), nor be suspended (water level higher in the 'fuge than the sump). If you can get them close, it should be just fine IMO.