DIY Sump/Refugium advice...Measurement help???

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Otty, Dec 15, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mel_cp6

mel_cp6 Plankton

one more thing.

im building a 1" pvc overflow and i will be using a quiteone 3000 pump
    rated at 780 gph at zero. and roughly 480 or 580 gph at 5ft.

any potential problem with this set up? will my pump be to much or to little.
    any chance they wont sync?

im thinking of putting a 1" ball valve on the drain and installing a adjustable flow valve for the locline nozzles.

thanks again,
    mel

2. Click Here!

3. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

a little bit off topic but, why are refugiums, or even sumps, long instead of tall? It seems that you waste more space that way, why aren't they more like a cube?

4. LVsuckerfish

LVsuckerfish Fire Shrimp

I would guess because of the Equipment you will install in it I have seen both work great, but also the biggest Piece of equipment you will add is a skimmer and a cube will work great for out of sump skimmer. A member in my local club has a cube 2*2*2 sump no fuge, and external skimmer. works like a champ.

5. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

I'm confused. The place where you have the live rock rubble stored. How does that concept work? Like the water comes from your tank into the first chamber, now does the first chamber overflow onto a box that has holes in it and the water goes through the box and falls into the second chamber, which in turn flows into the ref? AHHH. I've been studying the thread for hours and can't figure it out.

6. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Ok I think i figured it out. But one question. Doesn't having a box that's drilled in the middle of the flow of water slow down water flow?

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

The first part of the chamber was a baffle that went all the way to the top of the water line. The LR rubble was used just like bio balls, let water trickle over it as it passes through the sump. I let this sump go with my 55g tank when I sold it. I run a seperate 30g fuge now that just overflows back in the sump.

8. Click Here!

9. RYU583

RYU583 Plankton

I'm new....I like this design, but wouldn't putting live rock in the chamber be the same as putting bio balls and having the same problem with bacteria buildup?

unless you put a CUC...wouldn't you run into problems?

how do you like it so far?....I am in the process of building my own and am looking for ideas