DIY Sump/Refugium advice...Measurement help???

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Otty, Dec 15, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I needed to be able to shut off #3 so all the water would go to the display tank. I actually turn #2 wide open and set the flow with #4. I was afraid the pump was so big that I would need #2 to slow the flow down. I use a 1" return to a T then convert to 3/4" and it is pretty quiet. I have the Remora pulling water from the intake and exhausting it over the LR rubble chamber. I will get a pic tonight and post for you. I am using a Mag 1800 for a return pump because of a 12' head on the pump.
    MagDrive 1800gph Water Pump: Premium Aquatics

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Here are the pics of the Remora. I have e-mailed them to ask if it hurts anything to put a larger pump on this Aqua C but I have no response yet. Probably will get bubble out the spout with a bigger pump but it will never make it back to the display tank. Hope this helps.
    remora in sump.jpg remora in sump 2.jpg remora in sump 3.jpg

4. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

Hi,

:eek: Damn your sump looks better than my tanks..
    Doug
    hehe

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

There is still a few modifications that will be done to the Refugium part of the sump. I am going to isolate the fuge with a seperate valve off of the overflow so I can slow the gph down then have it spill over into the pump chamber. Thanks for the comment!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  6. k9BOLX

k9BOLX Spaghetti Worm

I have a few questions. Where do you buy that eggcrate stuff from?
    I already have a megaflow3 wet/dry for my tank and im adding adding another 20G to use as a fuge. Im planing on putting a phosban reactor in my sump and feed into the fuge which will then simply overflow into back into the pump return section of the fuge.
    Can anyone see any problem with this? I appreciate the feedback.

7. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Otty, as for directing the outlet of the refugum to the pump chamber, when my system was configured in that manner, I would find that bits Cheto began to plug the inlet of the pump. Some would pass through and end up in the main tank.

Right or wrong, I have placed a filter sponge between the refugum and the pump. I do clean it weekly, and I always do see a bit of cheto....

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I got mine from Menards, I was told to get the white kind not the clear. Stuff is pretty easy to work with too.

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have been engineering modification to the sump/refugium due to Tangsters recomendations. I am adding a 5 1/2 gal tank next to the 30L sump to put as a fuge. It will hold the cheato (maybe) and calurpa which will OF into the sump. My old fuge area in the sump will hold mangroves I ordered last night from Hawaii so I can keep the high flow rate through my sump and the mangroves then slow the fuge way down on gph. I have two sets of baffles spaced 1" apart before my pump chamber so I haven't see any cheato get there YET? I will keep an eye on that though. Thanks for the heads up!

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Just wanted to post my latest updates on mu sump/fuge. This is a print of how it will look when I am done. I am waiting on the Mangroves to come in and the 5 1/2 gal tank to get drilled for the bulkhead. I will post some pics when I have everything planted.
    sump_fuge_w_magroves.JPG

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  12. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Looks great!! You now have two areas, one for macro and one for a sump or some mangroves. Take some pics when you have completed this Frankenstein :) j/k

Jim