DIY Sump/Refugium advice...Measurement help???

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Otty, Dec 15, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

Well its a matter of how the cabinet is constructed- it has two dividers built into the cabinet and I suspect they are there not only to make storage room but also to reinforce the cabinets holding capacity!

2. Click Here!

3. bouraganes

I was thinking of reinforcing the sides and top of one of the dividers and cutting out the middle for the extra space to fit the 20 gallon but I don't know if I'm brave enough to cut both sides

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Try a 30L. I believe it is only 36" in width.

5. bouraganes

I'll have to study it out- I will let you know what it looks like later-how is your setup working?

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Otty the sump is looking good! What did you do about the T valve?

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Here is a print of the way I came up with plumbing. I started it last night and seems to run pretty good.
    Plumbing for sump_fuge.JPG

This way I can totally shut the display tank off and still cycle the sump/refugium if I ever need to isolate something. I will take some pictures this weekend and post them. Maybe it will help someone out someday.

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Done and running! Just took the Fluval 305 out last night and checking to make sure all the parameters are still good with the media chambers in the Fluval not filtering anymore. Looks good so far, got my first coral, a Xenia and it is plusing like crazy. Saltwater is much better then FW by far. Seems like I wasted 23 years with FW when I could of been enjoying SW.:-/ Here is some pics of the tank w/hood I finally got done and my sump/refugium.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Moved LR around after canister filter and heater was taken out
    [​IMG]
    My first coral
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  10. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Looks awesome, Otty! Congrats on all your hard work.
    I just got my SCWD this week and I'm getting closer to setting my own sump up.
    Why did you go with 2 splits back to the sump on the return line?

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

If you are talking about the return from the sump to the display tank I done that so I could isolate the two but still run the sump. I can open the valve #3 to the inlet on the sump and close the valve #1 to the display tank and just cycle the fuge. It was only a T and 2 valves so I guess it was insurance. I used it while I was getting the rest of the plumbing done to the display tank so it has been useful. The other valve next to the return pump #4 is so I can set the GPH I want to the tank. I open it for less and close it for more because I bought a large pump since I have 12' of head on the pump. I also can close down valve #2 to slow the GPH down.
    Plumbing for sump_fuge.JPG

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  12. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Cool. Valves #3 and #4 looked redundant to me, so I thought I'd ask.
    What size return pump are you using and do you have any pics of your Remora in the sump?