DIY Sump/Refugium advice...Measurement help???

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Otty, Dec 15, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Custome DIY Sump/Refugium progress

Got the rest of the sump/fuge done last night. I will be ready to add water tonight and set flow rate of pump plus drill right diameter holes for LR rubble trickle and entrance side of fuge baffle. Also added a media chamber after the LR-R and before the fuge. Here are some more pics. Anyone see something I am forgetting?????
    IMAGE_00076.jpg IMAGE_00077.jpg IMAGE_00078.jpg IMAGE_00075.jpg IMAGE_00079.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Pics of current sump/fug cycling

Well I finally got all the hard work done and money spent. This is my DIY sump/fug and it came out pretty good. Added about 8 lb more of LR so that I could trickle the water across it. The only problem I see so far is I am getting film on the water over the fuge. Any ideals on how to get rid of it or should I just leave it?
    sump_fug1.jpg sump_fug2_LR.jpg sump_fug3.jpg

4. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

Looking Good Otty!!!!!!!!

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Thanks bouraganes! Feel pretty good about my first DIY project. I made it big enough so I can upgrade my display tank later if Mommy will let me....;D

6. bouraganes

Otty what is a good place to pick up acylic and what specifically did you cut it with? I have bad memories of cutting plexiglass and its wonderful propensity to crack!

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I picked up the acrylic at Lowes with a plastic trimming knife. I would score it real deep with a carpet knife and lay a straight edge down across the line I just made, then put my knees on it to hold it in place and pulled back on the acrylic. It will snap in a straight line just like tile. I would then trim the edges on both side because that stuff will cut you wide open if your not careful. If the pieces were real small I would just cut it with a compound miter saw and then trim.

8. Click Here!

9. bouraganes

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Are you doing a sump yourself with the acrylic? I was real surprised on how easy it was to work with, I was always let to believe it was difficult, lesson learned.

11. bouraganes

Otty I am in the middle of deciding-my tank is 55 gallons - I have space issues in my cabinet -my current useable space is 16 inches long by 16 inches wide and decided I can modify it up to 30 inches long to fit an 20 gallon high sump/refugium- the question I have is would the benefits to my tank be sufficent ito warrent the work and the $-

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

The 55 is 48" long, you have something else in your stand??