DIY Stand/grow out tank(The LED's)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by reefmonkey, Nov 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Ouch! How did that happen? Was the bulkhead screwed on too tight?

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I think it was the over flow box putting a weird stress on the glass. I was sitting at the table wiring the relay block for my ATO, heard a pop!, thought "OH ****!! That was glass!", checked the DT first and then my left sock got soaked.
    My power drill was laying there plugged into the stand...good thing I always use a GFCI in the lead outlet. At least I know it works like it should. The drill should too, once it dries out.

I drilled the 10 gallon that was supposed to be my working ATO reserve tonight. I'll have to make the 35 mile trip to Sioux Falls tomorrow night and pick up another. But the system is back up and running. This time w/o the box, just a bulk head through the glass.

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Forgot to mention that I shortened the drain pipe length into the main sump by 8". I think the weight of it just hanging straight out from the bulkhead added to or created the stress the box put on the glass.

5. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

maybe put a small wooden support under the pvc to keep pressure off the glass

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Got the LED's done today. I somehow managed to kill 6 of them on the fixture for my 75 while swapping out a driver. This project has been fraught with disaster from the on set.

The fixture is driven with a Meanwell 60-48D. I am driving the 14 3W LED's @ 900mA. There are 9 Royal Blue and 5 Cool White that are 8" above the surface of the water. There are no additional optics on the diodes. Intensity is controlled with a pot. In the pic below it is running over the tank at about 25%.

Here's pics of the LED fixture and it's base....enjoy. :)
    [​IMG]

I had a fan with LED's in it so that is what I used LOL. It has a cover and sits up so high the light from it can't be seen.
    [​IMG]

Detail photo of the power cord and DC jacks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here it on the hood. The hood holds the light 8" above the water. The front panel is held on with magnets and comes off easily to give access to the fraggy goodness inside the tank.
    [​IMG]

And the first five frags that will be grown out in this tank. :) I picked them up at a club swap this weekend for $40
    [​IMG]
    Left; Back: deep water acro, Forward: Idaho Grape Monti
    Center; Back: Jade stag, Forward: Teal Stag
    Right: Monti Spongodes

I thought I had a pic of the inside of the fixture. The driver is mounted in the box and all the wiring is solder connected and shrink taped.

After replacing the broken tank and buying another one for the ATO, I finally got the kalk stirrer installed. On the the first run the check valve failed and it back siphoned a whole bunch of kalk into my clean top off water. Got that fixed.
    All that is left to do now is build the door and get the two BRS 1.1mL dosing pumps installed.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Lookin' good! 8)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Thanks Seano.

There is some stain touch up that was still wet in the pics. And I fixed the link showing the LED's lit up

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I can't wait to see more frags in there lol. I really love the LED's. :)

11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Me either! In fact I'm so impatient I'm going to put in a big order out of Mr. Corals $10 section here in a week or so. :)

12. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Lol, sounds like something I would do. ;D

1 person likes this.