DIY Stand/grow out tank(The LED's)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by reefmonkey, Nov 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Well, at least you got some stuff done lol. It will get there. I have the same problem though with having 4 kids. I never get to finish a project straight though.

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Took the opportunity of having a day off since it was Thanksgiving to get some more work done. My wife called me "anti-social" but the time spent was worth it IMO. Got quite a bit accomplished today.

Storage space became an issue when I decided to use the Two Little Fishies Kalk Stirrer instead of just dripping kalk. So I came up with two trays. One is on hinges and swings out of the way so I can access the reactor, dosing sump and valve on the mini-bean. The other tray is on a slot and pulls out so that I have use of the entire depth of the stand without having to lean in to get at stuff in the back.

With the bottom tray pulled out.
    [​IMG]
    Top tray swinging
    [​IMG]
    Power outlets w/ GFCI
    [​IMG]
    Rear of stand to show the completed mini BeanAnimal
    [​IMG]
    Drain pipe extending out the side of the stand.
    [​IMG]
    I had to modify the 45* fitting so that it would protude more than 1/2" outside of the stand. Did this by cutting 1/2" off either end.

1 person likes this.
  4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That is looking really good. You have some great ideas there for storage under the stand! I wish I would've thought of some stuff like lol. How tall is your stand?

1 person likes this.
  5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Thank you.

I wanted some shelves above the tank but the kalk stirrer made me change those plans. I'll add another tray or two to the inside of the door.

The stand is 48" tall at the top.

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I got all the stuff to complete the LEDs in the mail on Friday. Didn't have time this weekend to even touch that part of the build though.
    [​IMG]

Funding for the project is now in the red. Around $30 over budget and that will not make the wife happy. So to make some of it back I used the leftover stain from the 90 gallon stand/canopy build and I didn't dress this stand up with moulding. The stain doesn't match the 75's stand but it looks good. I also set it up minus the door. I'll have to get some money made up before I can buy the ply and trim for the door.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is the mess that is now the return section of the main sump.
    [​IMG]

And yes... The wet spot you see on the bottom shelf is from a small leak. I didn't have the bulk head for the return tight enough. I had to drain and pick the frag tank up and tighten it up. All good now. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Looks really good put all together so far. Great job! :)

8. Click Here!

9. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Well, that doesn't look good. If I may ask, how did you manage that one?

12. Stercus Accidit

Stercus Accidit Feather Duster

OHH, that really sucks! Sorry to see this happen...but continue on, it's still looking great.