DIY Rock Help

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by meagan1823, Feb 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JasonSquared

JasonSquared Spaghetti Worm

OK, the pellets are shaped like HUGE time release Tylenol... And they're not too natural looking. Also make sure that they don't have the rust remover... I don't KNOW for sure that it's harmful, but I also don't know of them being used. So I'd avoid them.

2. Click Here!

3. Russter

Russter Flamingo Tongue

Will type 10 Portland cement be ok to use? I have a 5 or 6 bags left over from pouring a pad a couple of years ago.

4. convict3

convict3 Astrea Snail

type one and two is a fine power does the type 10 have other small rocks in it?

5. Russter

Russter Flamingo Tongue

No, it doesn't have any rocks, is just a fine grey powder.

6. convict3

convict3 Astrea Snail

i also didn t use any sand to for or in the mix,i figured its just more stuff to buy,and also a fun trick i used to make large caves and swim throughs was the balloons u make balloon animals withs. just inflate them tie a few together and pour the portland/salt, crushed oyster shells over them. they have been in there almost a year. try not to look at the red algae on the back glass its the bane of my exsistance

Attached Files:

7. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

I found using just alittle sand helps keep the mold together, and looks more natural then just pure oyster shells. Also you can use playground sand for your mold, most of it will wash off during curing, what doesnt wash off will not mess with your silacates (sp). IMO i did like the idea of macarroni because you dont know if it is all gone by the time the rick cures.

check out this, it should explain everything. And i made some great rock
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-articles-how-tos/aragocrete-diy-live-rock-58464.html

8. Click Here!

9. JasonSquared

Yeah not a fan of the macaroni either... Lot of unnecessary nutrients if not all gone. And you can't test to check for it... As for the just oyster shell. It ends up looking like just concrete IMO... The rock with the softener salt salt looks just like Fiji rock IMO, and is far more porous and less dense.. Or pretty close. I've actually made a mix that was too wet, and the rock FLOATED, as it was SO porous that there was too much air in it when the rock salt dissolved... I had to hold it down!

10. Russter

Russter Flamingo Tongue

11. JasonSquared

12. Russter

Russter Flamingo Tongue

Well I have about 80 lbs of DIY rock in a large plastic can now and have been changing the water every couple of days. Should I be changing the water more/less? Also have an old power head in the can to circulate the water...it seems to help keep the film off the top. Any other suggestions besides patience? :anxious: