DIY Remote video monitoring

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by BlackJack, May 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BlackJack

BlackJack Flamingo Tongue

Ok, maybe this has been covered, and it's not really something I engineered so much as discovered.

I'm remotely watching my reef with my webcam and NO ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE or rediculous computer knowledge needed.

All you do is set up your working webcam pointed at your reef (or anything else you want to watch remotely) and log that computer on to

LIVE: Home

Create your own channel, and you're off and running. You can set it to public for anyone to stumble onto and view, or you can set it to private which is not really secure, but you have to actually give someone the channel name for them to find it.

I created mine, and am going to upgrade to using a much higher resolution camera soon.

Here's mine: LIVE: myreef

It's not exciting by any stretch of the imagination, but I have peace of mind as a new aquarium owner that the fish are still there and the tank hasn't drained for some unexplained reason :)

2. Click Here!

3. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

linksys has a product that does this too but I like the looks of this service more, pretty cool I'm going to have to do this as well

4. Ryan

Ryan Spaghetti Worm

Perfect! My girl friend just told me last night that I need to figure out how to set a web cam up so our friends and family can view our reef at any time!

Is there any way to make it so its not play/stop/play/stop/play?

5. BlackJack

well, that's a matter of my cheap video cam, and my crappy connection. I've viewed other people's web cam rooms on that same site, and they were smooth as glass, so that problem is somewhere in my equipment/connection.

Looks like you can also embed it on a website if you choose.

Oh yeah, point of interest......you should turn off audio (in the Yahoo settings) if you don't want everyone listening in on your conversations going on in the house ;)

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  6. Ryan

Ryan Spaghetti Worm

lol...that might not be good if grandma was looking at my reef and heard something she wasn't suppose too...:p

Does anyone know if there are any small, relatively affordable under water cameras that would work with this?

Im thinking about finding a small high quality web cam and build a small acrylic box for it to sit in so I can mount it in the upper corner of my tank angling down.

7. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

wow thats a cool site nice find

8. Click Here!

9. BlackJack

I wouldn't waste your money on building a box for the camera, if the box sat in the water, what would be the difference if the camera was mounted outside the tank looking through the glass?

10. BlackJack

Does that mean I get a free RO/DI system? ROFL

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid