DIY Reef Controller ( Help would be great)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by mati_L, Aug 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

LEDS = 2 pins (unless you want more channels but most ppl use 2)

ATO = 4 pins (the way I've been thinking about doing it)

TEMP = 1 pin (one wire digital temp sensor)

SERIAL LCD = 1 pin

RTC = 2 pins

That's 10 pins, and the Uno has 14 digital I/O pins. That leaves you with 4 pins leftover to add stuff. Keep in mind that more temp sensors can be added on the same pin, and I havent looked but they may make a ph probe that is one wire, if so then that could be added on the same pin as well.

The reason alot of these guys are running Megas, is because they are using parallel LCD's, and other 2 wire sensors and things that are eating up all of their pins. A basic LCD requires 11 pins just for the display alone. The mega has more pins than an uno. But all that does is make a mess of coding and a nightmare of wires. I've gone over alot of guy's code, and some ppl have laid some nice groundwork. But when I do mine, everything that can be serial, WILL be. It saves alot of pins and makes a nicer finished product, and with all the available libraries, its easier to code IMO.

2. Click Here!

3. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

i havent made my rapid order just yet but i want to mess around with this and get the controll built

and see now thats a must cleaner setup i was thinking 2 wires for each temp i want 2 one for sump and another for tank and i also was thinking of the parrallel LCD not serial..ill look for one now and send you the link, see what you think

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  4. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

Did you buy a ebay UNO which looks real but it's a clone or bought the real thing?

i cant find the LCD you were talking about on SparkFun can you send me a link?

5. insanespain

Mine is real. I bought a kit when I bought mine, but it looks like my kit has went up in price. I got mine along time ago. Here's a better deal than I got.

Amazon.com: Arduino Uno Starter Kit -- 3' USB Cable --Solderless BreadBoard -- 65 Jumper Wires: Electronics

You will still need to add parts to that kit just so you can play with it. I can pm you a list later.

Here's a basic 16x2 LCD that is serial enabled

Serial Enabled 16x2 LCD - White on Black 5V - SparkFun Electronics

I am going to get a graphic 128x64 LCD but it's not necessary.

6. insanespain

Also, after reading this thread today, I came home from work and got the arduino out and started coding. After a few hours of work and headaches, I actually have an ATO program functioning and the code polished up. It uses dual float switches that must agree with each other for the pump to run. I just have to prototyped on a breaboard with and led right now but it seems to work flawless. I think I will order some float switches and an aqualifter pump and do a write up for people wanting a cheap ATO.

7. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

Perfect ! what software do you use to make the code? the problem with the serial LCD which i want the large one too is that we will need the serial shield for the UNO correct? or am i wrong?

8. Click Here!

9. insanespain

You get the development environment here:

Arduino - Software

And you dont need anything extra to use the serial display. The arduino does serial communications on pins 0 and 1.

10. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

well i just ordered the link you sent me from amazon..all the others on ebay look identical except the made in italy in the corner and they dont come in the arduino orange case..they are clones so i was worried about buying the wrong one.
    wow so you have a lot of knowledge on the topic already, i know about electronics but im new to the arduino and coding

As for the ATO what do you have in mind as for setting up the relay ? we should come up with some kind of feed button for the skimmer and powerheads ? sounds like a good idea
    as for parts i have a few in mind

Arduino for starters, the LCD and for the temp we use DS18S20 which i want to run 2 and they can share the same port

11. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

Solid State Relays?

12. insanespain