DIY Raining ATO idea

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Thatgrimguy, Jun 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thor

Thor Coral Banded Shrimp

This is such a cool idea. Hope you find a way to make it work!

Subscribed.

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Somehow... This is happening. Lots of great ideas in this thread, I think the drip emitter gardening supply stuff is my best bet. I've been busy travelling the last couple weeks, but I'm hoping to figure it out next weekend!!

And what are on earth did we do before the internet!! Thank you all for your help and support! Makes it that much more fun and definitely provides a hell of a resource. Ya'll rock.

1 person likes this.
  4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I think your best bet would be a few rows of garden soaker hose hooked to a pump. One idea would be to just use the water that is already in your tank. Just cycle the water through the hose and the water level will stay constant. Good luck with this; it should be interesting!

5. duoc9119

duoc9119 Coral Banded Shrimp

I think he wants it to be an actual ATO. When water evaporates the "rain" will replenish what was gone.

This is a nice idea if you don't have a sump, I think. Just because the water level in the DT is always constant from the return pump. It would work if you make it rain in the sump, but no one would really see it. Or you had a gravity overflow so excess water in the DT will drain to the sump raising the water level to turn off the ATO

6. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

You could put the float in the sump and rain in the display. Would still work it might overly fill it a little but it would consistently fill it the same.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Your overflow will ensure that the extra water goes into the sump. You can't raise the level in the DT above the outlet. :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

^^ this, But since the thread started, I have pretty much decided to use a normal ato and make the rain feature purely for looks and run a salty system so I can run the rain as often as I please and only when people are around. (more than anything to keep the mess from the salt spray to a minimum.)

10. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

...I still want to see a video...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

My lights still haven't come in, and my plan is to mount the system from the lighting hardware. Soon, I keep telling myself that anyhow!

12. duoc9119

duoc9119 Coral Banded Shrimp

Looking forward to see how well this turns out.