DIY Raining ATO idea

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Thatgrimguy, Jun 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

That would actually save me money!.. I wonder if salt would clog it up... If so, how quickly. (obviously it would, just to what degree and how fast)

2. Click Here!

3. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

i dont think it would and to make it work a pump just has to come on in ur sump and rain water on the dt

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I've been wondering about that, regardless how you set up this system. Each time it runs, there will be salt left inside; and each time an old layer get wet, it becomes even more solidified. (Yeah, I've had to chisel salt creep before).

If designed and operated properly, a top-off with RO/DI only would last long enough for some enjoyment without any negative effects on your livestock. Getting the right size holes in the proper size pipe and regulating the pressure is key.

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Those are sexy! I would look into that!

Sent from my phone using my two opposable digits

6. Owentl

Owentl Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

You can get these at home depot as well in the irrigation section. The ones HD sells is by rain bird, I have them in my garden and they work real good.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Nice! I'm planning to work on this project next weekend. Got to get my apex up and running first (having networking issues)... I may put it on a variable speed pump controlled by the apex to allow me to change the intensity of the rain.. We'll see. First I just need to get some sort of rain going then i'll tweek out details like that.

I'm thinking I may need to run some RO/DI after every use to be on the safe side. I'm going to have to spend sometime learning the Apex programming language and possibilities before figuring out how I will use the system.

Thanks for all the help everyone!! I really appreciate it! Love me some 3reef!

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Awesome! Keep us posted!
    3reef loves you too!

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

nice find

For the salt thing. I'm thinking do the SW so you can control it like has been discussed.

But why couldn't you also route your ATO through it? You won't be 'raining' very often (once you get over the novelty) and the ATO may not be enough to get the effect but maybe enough to flush the system as it will probably kick on multiple times a day 24/7.

11. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

How large is you system and how much evaporation a day? You could potentially set it to just top off like twice a day and get the rain effect and avoid the whole saltwater thing all together. Topping off twice a day shouldn't cause to much of a swing unless your evapping crazy amounts of water.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

12. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

That was what I was thinking as well. I dont see a real reason for salt water to be pumped as rain if thats what you are getting at... If this is on a system big enough to even consider this Im sure it could withstand the very slight change in salinity. Either way you choose to go sounds sweet. Best of luck!