DIY Raining ATO idea

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Thatgrimguy, Jun 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I dont expect to see any advantage to my fish or corals. In fact, I expect to see a little downside but only in terms of maintenance. (salt creep, more to break, etc)

I'm going to use a salt system and only run it on demand just for the wow factor. Basically a parlor trick. I have pretty much everything mapped out now and plan to put it all up when I get my lights (still on backorder) I'm giong to basically grid around the SOL lighting kits, hoping the water will glow with the LED color. Should be pretty cool no matter what.

2. Click Here!

3. dskyers

dskyers Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Following along. I'm about put lights up on a self and a few of these tubes would be a great addition. So looking forward for your new trend your bound to start.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

4. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

Gotcha. Thanks for enlightening me. I'm definitely keen to see how this works out, and what resulting maintenance PITA's show up. Ya know what else might be kind of cool is to put some kind of fiber optics in the nozzles so you could have colored rain.

Good luck!

--EW

5. damon

damon Sea Dragon

I did not read the whole thread, but this is how I would do it. I would get some drip emitters for a garden irrigation system that are controllable. That way you can run your pump to pressurize the system and the adjust each emitter to the drip time you want.

6. AUS-10

AUS-10 Plankton

Awesome idea. Subscribed for the turnout!

7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I went quickly through this thread and I think its a great idea. I did not read all of the posts, so ignore me if it has been discussed and solved.

I do believe that unless u use some kind of sprinklers or nozzles u will have streams coming out instead of drops. If u were to reduce the flow, then I would think some of the holes won't even push out any water even. The system would have to keep some constant pressure for a rain effect, plus nozzles or some kind of mini-sprinkler or similar should be used.

Salt creep from the streams (or rain drops) would be something to combat almost daily.

Not saying it can't be done, but it certainly has some obstacles to solve.

I'm tagging along as well.... I would certainly like to see the show once its completed.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Sent from my phone using my two opposable digits

8. Click Here!

9. fishboyt

fishboyt Bristle Worm

Why does everyone steal my ideas??! J/K. But really, I was thing of this a couple months ago.

What if you made a shallow acrylic dish and drilled holes in it? When the ATO turns on, the water fills up the dish and the force pushes the water through the holes. Only other way would be to get a MaxiJet and use an irrigation system.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's what I was thinking too.

This site has to have something reef-safe:
    Irrigation Sprinkler Nozzles

11. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Doesn't every site? ;D

12. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

What about This and it makes the whole idea seems ezer without the salt creep

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011