DIY Raining ATO idea

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Thatgrimguy, Jun 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

Wow this is looking like a pretty cool idea/project.

2. Click Here!

3. kornaco40B

kornaco40B Spaghetti Worm

:-/ .....confused now. I thought you wanted to do something that imitated "raining."

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Just slow down the flow and straighten up the holes. Should work out great.

1 person likes this.
  5. kornaco40B

kornaco40B Spaghetti Worm

I guess... I was hoping for BIG TIME raining from your project. :p

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

If ComputerJohn's example was multiplied, to say 12 lines(or more) running long-ways across the tank, then this could easily have enough water flow to cover, creating a realistic-looking rainfall.

I'm definitely following along. This is pretty interesting.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

To produce that much rain I'm going to have to go with a salty system and only run it on demand (probably a smarter option anyhow)... I could pump warm ro/di through it once a month or so to keep it clean.

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

yes, you will definitely have to use saltwater as your rain. if you didn't you would have some crazy salinity swings, for sure. You could probably have it on a controller to turn the "rain pump" on maybe 3 or 4 times a month(or however often you desire)?

10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I'm hoping to be able to program a rain button on my APEX that will change the lighting and start the rain and run for a set amount of time like feed mode. Should be pretty easy. No need for it it run and make a mess when there isn't anyone around to see the show...

The LEDs should make the rain glow something serious. With plenty of viewing space!!

[​IMG]

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Been following this thread too.

My ATO is straight to my DT. It's just a tube that sits maybe 2 inches over the water.

It runs for like 10 seconds at a time. While I like the 'rain sound' it made, I didn't like hearing it for 10 seconds randomly throughout the day and ended up moving it so it washes over an HOB appliance I run and this way you can't hear it.

As you can't see the top of my tank anyway, what the "rain" looks like is irrelevant - it only comes down to sound for my situation. Since the ATO pump (Tunze) isn't huge, the ATO flow is low. It doesn't sound like pouring, it sounds like rain... (but only being one tube and only 2 inches up, it wasn't particularly loud, so it's not the same effect)

Just my two cents on similar experience.

12. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

This is a cool idea. Will this provide any benefit or is it simply a wow factor type thing?