DIY Raining ATO idea

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Thatgrimguy, Jun 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Those are some very good points kornaco40B.. I've also run into another issue.. The wall I intended to hide the plumbing in is only about a quarter inch in places from the fire wall between my condo and my neighbor... I can't even get my extension cord (for the LEDs) to pull right now... But I'm going to keep working on it.

Using a salty system worries me about saltcreep.. Could end up being such a mess...

2. Click Here!

3. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

think about the mess salty sprinkles will leave all around the outside of the tank

4. kornaco40B

kornaco40B Spaghetti Worm

Bummer about the wall issue... :-/ That's gonna throw a huge wrench in concealing any plumbing if a small cord won't even fit...

I hear you about the creep... (as if I'm trying to sell you now...) I picture a majority of the creep issue to be related to the spray/splashing from your rain hitting the water surface... So, if it's surface spray causing your mess--that's gonna be a factor in either water, fresh or salty...

It's still a pretty sweet idea though... taking your reef to another meteorological level... :p

5. kornaco40B

kornaco40B Spaghetti Worm

Right, it would be a decent challenge to make any rain "un-messy..." (Salty or fresh)

6. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

This has been discussed a few times before in the past.. Here's an idea & is quite easy. Take 1/4" tubing that is used for RO systems. It's rigid enough to drill into, flexible, and small enough to hide. Cap the end on one side & you should be able to use a lifter pump or a solenoid valve. Install a 1/4" ball valve to control water flow. Remember you want the holes big enough to drip & not mist.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

As long as the water doesn't end up just running down the tube instead of dripping that would be awesome. I can experiment with that on my next day off. Thanks for the idea!!

8. Click Here!

9. ComputerJohn

Here you go. Took me 10min to make this sample. Used a 3/32" drill bit and drilled every 1/2" on the tubing. Play around with the ball valve for desired flow.

Keep on mind, a couple of the holes were crooked do to drilling them quick. :)

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

HA! That is downright awesome!! I bet I can get that through the wall!!! You rock, thank you very much.

11. ComputerJohn

Oh yeah, you can run that through a wall no problem.

Your welcome. Always try to help.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

12. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

You could always run say a half inherent piece then Tee it a few times to get more coverage and run a slighlty larger pump then you think you will need and control the flow with a ball valve. Are you planning to use this as your only source of top off? I know you said only once or twice a day running it but I'm just curious.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk