DIY PVC overflow cant keep up

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by serotonin, May 23, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

Hello everyone. I built one of the PVC overflows that covey posted about. I used 1 1/4" PVC for my 90GAL setup flowing down into two 10 gal tanks. One is a fuge, the other is the sump. The two 10 gals are connected via 2" holes I drilled in the tanks and fitted them together with some 1 1/2" pvc fittings. On the other end i have a 20hf rio hyperflow pumping the water out. With my present configuration the pump is overpowering the whole system considerably. I have about 4-5 feed of head pressure so the pump should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 900 gph.

I wonder if I need to tone down the output of my pump? Can I use a dimmer switch for that or do you need a ball valve?

Are these pvc systems even capable of such a flow rate? What would you suggest? :confused: :confused: :(

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  2. Click Here!

3. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

At a 1.25 I tested mine to 550GPH for sure and ran it in the neighbor of 700 GPH. I think 900GPH is out of its range. I am pretty sure a dimmer would burn the pump up. You could back it off with a valve. Buy a SCWD and usefully kill off some GPH. Or you could build a second overflow or one larger say 1.5" PVC overflow.

Some options.

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I second the valve idea. It will help out the problem, a lot.

5. serotonin

I tossed a valve on it, prob solved. Now the dang pump is as loud as a freight train. You know, one step forward and one step back.

still fun tho, weeeeeeeeeeeeeee ! :)

6. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

I am assuming you just put a valve inline to the return to block flow. You could try putting a T in the return line with a valve to divert water back into your sump. Start with the inline valve fully open and the diverter valve fully closed. Open the diverter valve slowly until the return flow to the tank does not overtake your overflow. That way you do not add any back pressure to the pump and it should cut down the noise. (pipe the open end of the diverter valve under water to avoid splashing noise. :)

Mike

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  7. serotonin

now thats a wonderful idea, karma!

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Michaelr5 your brilliant. That is a sweet Idea. I'm going to steal it as well.

Thanks
    J

10. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Your're both quite welcome! Glad to help

I gues that's why my mother calls me sun :sunny:

Actually I can't take full credit, I saw it somewhere else. If I could remember, I would give credit:)

11. serotonin

great news! I used your diverter and my pump is back to hardly being able to hear it run. woot!

Now its the running with the valve 80% open, maybe more. This is great but now the overflow is making noise in two places. The first place is when its drawing water out of the tank. You know the sound when you drain a bathtub and the water swirls down the drain and the tornado starts. That exact thing is goin on. The next place i can hear noise is a gurgling sound comming from the open pipe on the outside of the tank ( the vent at the T junction where the water flows out the side of the T down to the sump. the vertical tube is open for a breather and is making quite a racket)

Can post pics if necessary.

12. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Your still pushing the overflow hard. I would divert more or go with one of the above options.