DIY overflow problems

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by klaberjd, Dec 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. klaberjd

klaberjd Fire Worm

Guys I appreciate all the info.....looks like its going to be a long night.....I am having an overflow overnighted and I am going to start ripping out and redoing plumbing.....fun fun! Thanks and sorry if I came off cross in my last point....just been frustrating is all. Thanks guys!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Hey man, we have all been there. I don't think there are any of us who haven't had to spend half the night with a shop vac and fans on the floor. I think you will be happy with the new overflow. You will worry much less. If you buy one of the cpr overflows, be sure to get an aqualifter to keep the syphon. Otherwise, it is pretty much useless.

4. klaberjd

klaberjd Fire Worm

Definitely wish I would have just forked over the money for a drilled tank when I had the chance in the beginning. Lol

1 person likes this.
  5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I have had several tanks, most of which I drilled myself. The one I have now is the only one I have every had that was pre-drilled. To be honest, if I had to do it again, I would drill it myself again.

6. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

yup ...been there ...done that...shouldnt take ya long once ya get it...aqua lifters you can get at any fish store 15.00/20.00??
    much empathy...keep this going throughout your upgrade..;D

7. Tom Owens

Tom Owens Astrea Snail

What size pump are you running? 1" PVC can only handle about 200 gph max of drain. It can handle more under pressure, but not under gravity alone. That's why you never see 1" pipe on a drain, it's always 2" or better.

If you're running a 500 gph pump or better, then it's only a matter of time before they back up and over flow.

8. Click Here!

9. SeymourDuncan

SeymourDuncan Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Sounds like it overflowed just fine to me!

Sorry I had to. I have made the PVC overflows out of 1.5 inch before. Hook that to an aqua lifter and it can handle quite a bit. Any smaller and I'd be sleeping with one eye open next to the tank lol

I use a store bought overflow on my 55. My 75 is drilled though. Which trumps everything.

10. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

i built one a while back but ended getting tunza's overflow. if your tank is where you sleep it will make a lot of noise and the siphon needs to be adjusted weekly. least thats the issues i had....

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

any update on this?

12. Dmann

Dmann Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I've been running a CPR overflow for about 3 years now on my 180g. I have had no problems with it. Only thing is, you want to keep a extra aqua lifter pump on hand as it only last for about a year. But they are only 10$ on amazon.