DIY Overflow Box

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Marty, Apr 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Cool, that looks a lot like my sketch. Pretty cheap too. May buy that rather than having to sweat through a build. Thanks for the link. Karma.

2. Click Here!

3. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Thanks for the input everyone! I was thinking it would need to be bigger than that. :O)

4. iLLaPiNo83

iLLaPiNo83 Astrea Snail

I was looking at that overflow box. Can i have the measurements of it?? I emailed aquatraders 4 days ago and never got an answer back.

5. tinnghe

tinnghe Purple Spiny Lobster

dont know you have done this or not should have seen it earlier, if you have a drill, you can drill ur tank, unless is temper than in that case i cant help you. there is a kit offer by glass-holes.com which is pretty good, come with a drill bit bulkhead and a overflow box, check them out require drilling ur box and tank though

6. Marty

Marty Stylophora

I'm too nervous to drill my tank. I ordered an 800 gph OFB from foster and smith. Pretty cheap and worth not having to hassle with construction of a box or drilling. I'm eyeing a 180 for my next tank though. And I will get it pre installed. ;)

7. jcdillin

jcdillin Spaghetti Worm

:lol: yeah i've never had the guts to drill mine either. I really don't like the look of the full overflow going down the back of the tank either I think it takes up too much room inside.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Drilling a tank is as easy as drilling a block of wood I have sent a bit out to many here and several are first timers the thicker the glass the better and easier it is . If your tank is not set up yet then you'd be far better off just drilling it and putting an internal overflow . Why risk flooding the floor ? Takes about 5 or minuets or less to drill the average tank..

10. cornfacereef

cornfacereef Astrea Snail

My dad said, I could make a overflow box out of a shoe box and fiberglass the inside and outside of the shoebox using resin and fiberglass mat from Home Depot or Lowes. Drill the bottom out for a bulkhead and place some gutter guard for the fish, snails, shrimp, crabs, cheato, algae, and fish food not to get into the sump.

11. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Sounds like a logistical nightmare.

I'd rather mold it out of acrylic. Or just buy one prefab unit. They are pretty cheap.

12. gilbertjanke

gilbertjanke Astrea Snail

I too was looking at this Overflow. It really does keep/hold the siphon if the power goes out? No complaints with this Overflow? Does the Bulkhead it comes with work trustworthy?

Tangster, what about drilling a tank that is already setup? Is it doable? I have a 30g tall that is setup currently. Could i lower the water level and drill it? Im guessing there is too much risk involved in that?