DIY Overflow Box

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Marty, Apr 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Going to be starting my sump/refugium project soon, so I'm starting to kick around ideas for my DIY overflow box.

With my 72 gallon bow front how big should the box be? What considerations do I have to take into account? Thanks.

Here is what I have in mind so far...
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. jcdillin

jcdillin Spaghetti Worm

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You need to build a vertical dam wall about 2 inches lower then the top rim of the outside box and then the U Tube will siphon into one side of the damn you just cut and installed then the drain Bulkhead is on the other side that way the U is always submerged and if the power goes off the dam will hold the water to keep the U tube and when the pump kicks back on then the siphon will restart as it should.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Looked at the picture of the link what holds the water in this box should the pump go off ?

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

i have the same one and it does hold water when power goes off, let me check......

7. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Theres a little baffle in the back that water has to flow over to get to the hose to sump......

8. Click Here!

9. jcdillin

jcdillin Spaghetti Worm

it's hard to see in the pic but there is a baffle that holds the water from draining out. I've stopped and restarted it 20 times and it works perfectly every time. Works even better with aqualifter dosing pump to take the bubbles out.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

It may have a weir or dam I just did not see one..After build a few hundred of the animules I just notice them all.

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

LOL those little air pocket's that collect right at the top of the J pipe are fine . Its all about water seeking its own level.. If you put a larger pump then the bubbles will collect less because the volume of water will equalize the trapped air with the amount of water pushing through.

12. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

[​IMG]

Here i did a little design redoing. Its an exact copy of the aquatraders one....... please dont mind the little blue lines going thru the wording, its called Little brothers.....

The dark blue is the flow when pump is running. The light blue is where the water will hold and the siphon when the pump is off and/or power is out.........