DIY Live Rock

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by el_piraña, Jun 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

what kind of store sell crushed oyster shells?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. el_piraña

el_piraña Flamingo Tongue

Most people say you can find it at farm supply stores. I think it depends on where you live. I had trouble finding it locally, but maybe I looked in the wrong places :-/
    The one place I found it was extremely expensive for a very small bag.

My dad found these bags at a bird-seed supply store in a little town where he lives. He said there are a lot of hobby farmers around there and that's probably why he found it so easily. Chickens eat this, I guess it's good for their digestion and the calcium helps strengthen the egg shells.

I got two bags of this:
    [​IMG]

I had also picked up some aragonite sand which you could use instead of the crushed oyster shells, but I decided to use the shells only instead of sand in the mix.
    [​IMG]

In case anyone wonders, this is what the crushed oyster shells look like:
    [​IMG]

When I was looking around for supplies, I had also found a decent source for the crushed oyster shells online. I don't have any idea about buying from this place since I never ended up ordering online, but feel free to try it out if you want:
    OYSTER SHELL at MarshallGrain.com
    It's only $12 for a 50 lb bag!

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I would hope they have multiple-millenia-old knowledge just laying around everywhere ;D

5. el_piraña

el_piraña Flamingo Tongue

very good point! :grin3: