DIY Live Rock

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by el_piraña, Jun 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Concrete takes a long time to fully cure. Depending on the thickness, of course, it can take years for a building's foundation to cure fully if only cured by air/naturally. I would give it a couple weeks out of water, then it'll likely be much stronger, and pieces won't break off nearly as easily.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. el_piraña

el_piraña Flamingo Tongue

thanks! I sure hope pieces stop breaking off. I'm going to keep experimenting with some more pieces anyway, see what else I can make :)

4. el_piraña

yep, but I don't mind the waiting...I've been so busy lately that it's a good time for me to do this type of project

5. el_piraña

you got me curious....does it cure faster in water or out in the air?

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

looks great man. your post has really made me considered making my own when I need it.

1 person likes this.
  7. el_piraña

Thanks!

It's actually easier than I thought it would be. Not that I have a ton of experience, but I do have a couple suggestions if you want to try making your own...

If you try using salt to make porous rock, try not getting the salt pellets. I've crushed mine but so much of it still has the smooth round shape that doesn't seem too natural looking to me. I do crush it smaller now than when I made the first piece.

I've been using crushed oyster shells but sand will also work with the cement. I had problems finding the crushed oyster shells around where I live....it was something like $20 for a 5 lb bag!! :eek: so ridiculous!! My dad found some near his home in Wisconsin and picked up a couple 50 lb bags for me.

otherwise it's just trying to come up with the shapes of rocks you would like to see in your tank. I think it's been fun so far! ;D

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

was shaping the sand you poured it in hard?

10. el_piraña

It's not hard. I try to make the basic shape in the sand that I want to begin with, then rough it up a little...you don't want a smooth surface. When I shovel the cement in, I try to make it clumpy (I hope that's a good explanation ;)). Once it looks the way I want, I carefully cover the cement with some of the remaining sand - make sure you don't put a lot of pressure on the top so it doesn't ruin the shapes you've just made.

I know my thread is not very instructional. When I was considering making rock, I looked around for other people's examples. I'm happy to share some of the info I found:

This is a good video
    YouTube - DIY Live Rock - by Ed

some other 3reefer's threads
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/diy-rock-help-59337.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-articles-how-tos/aragocrete-diy-live-rock-58464.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/diy-lr-pix-56297.html

and some other good websites
    DIY 9

DIY Live Rock For Dummies! - The Reef Tank

I was a little nervous about trying this out at the beginning, but after trying it I've realized it's easier than you might think. Other good things....it's cheap and it's one less thing we're pulling out of the ocean! ;D

11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I'd just look here, under the first section.

1 person likes this.
  12. el_piraña

lol of course wikipedia has the answer!