DIY live rock

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by KOgle, Jan 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp

what are you making it out of? On other forums it cost about 10 cents a pound for materials, yes doing water changes will add to the overall cost. My idea was to make an insane amount, like 500 lbs, and cure it in those cheap above ground pools (like the ones you can get for 50$ at walmart) then sell it for 1.50. I am sure you could make a fortune, esp. bc/ people do not want to do the curing process themselves.

2. Click Here!

3. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I am kogle's "buddy" he is talking about (dont know why he thinks we are so close... weird:) here in indiana we can't buy non-silicate based play sand for dirt cheap... no one carries it. so the cheapest aragonite sand i could find is $8 4 10 lbs. still pretty cheap for the finished rock. i have 43 lbs of rock in my tank now... gonna try 2 make about 100 lbs and put however much I want to into the tank. we just thought it would be a fun hobby... gonna see how things go with my personal rock. hopefully start soon... we'll keep you all posted (keep posting comments/suggestions please!)

4. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

It's been a year, do anything? lol

-fritts

5. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Decided it was too expensive!! Otty had some leftover base rock already cured that he sold me for around 70 cents a pound:eek: so needless to say I thought it was the better deal to buy about 40 pounds off of him and finish off my tank!! Still might do it some day if we can find cheap play sand that will work...