DIY light mount for Tao Tronics led

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by salsalito25, Jun 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

Keep in mind this is for a 24 gal aqua pod..may work on other tanks also. keep in mind i am not a licenced pro nor claim to be.. lol

Ok a small list if things needed..

Link: Coralife Aqualight Adjustable Mounting Legs

[​IMG]

1ea aluminum flat pieace of metal 2inc x 1/8 x 36
    4pk of 1/2 corner brace. (90deg angle bracket)
    Pkg of machince screws # 10-32x 5/8

Ok and here we go... Take the mounting legs mount to tank with no light on it and measure from one side of mount that pivots to the other that measurement will be used on the aluminum stock.
    Then fun part remove mounts of course. and drill two holes in mounts like first pic.

1st
    [​IMG]

Then line up aluminum stock up on mount and mark it for hole's you just drilled in mounts. Of repeat both sides
    Then measure for your light mount hole that will hold Led ficture. mine measures 5 1/2 inch apart.. Use the #10-32 x 5/8 screws instead of the stock black screws by the plug outlets on leds.
    [​IMG]

also in pic you will see the 90deg angel brackets i use those for extra support so the mount will not have a lean or sag. heres a better pic.
    [​IMG]

here's a back side shot
    [​IMG]

And a few extra shots..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I disasembled Johny #5 made a few minor torques here and there and painted it to match..

Here's the finished product

[​IMG]

I hope this helps a few DIY Reefers out there...

Oh total out the pocket was Around $26.. and maybe one hour time to assemble..

Here's the old Light system 150 Hqi 20k MH
    [​IMG]

Enjoy and happy reefing..

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Good job man, one thing that concerns me is that its not a dimmable version, and those leds are right there on the surface. on a pretty small tank.

Idk what kind of lights were on before, but your corals may be affected with this new, more powerful lighting system. Have you noticed any coral responding negatively to the light?

4. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

I should have posted my old lighting system.. And your right it can be a concern.. But i was Buring a 150 watt Hqi 20k bulb.. pretty much at the same height as the Led's.. I Do have them on a shortend light cycle to help with acclimation.

Thanks again...

GIve me a few i will post old light system...Ok last pic of the thread just updated it.. Thank you for leting me know..

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

nice DIY thread. should be used a lot;)

1 person likes this.
  6. SnooknRedz

Well then looks like your gonna be okay, still i would watch out just in case. Good thread for sure.

I was assuming you had a 2 or even 4 bulb t5 or pc fixture, like most small cubes have. lol But that 150 was probably making them corals nice and happy. And im sure this light will too

1 person likes this.
  7. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

The stock hood had power compacts in it..After some time i was bored with them and i had the Hqi sitting around from a nother tank i had. i watched a few MacGyver episode's and mounted the Hqi 150 on it about 2yrs ago.. Then the evolution of led's came around, it was time to upgrade once again..

On a side note since the mounting of the Led's my chiller has yet to come on, along with tank temp has not exceeded 77deg f. I am waiting for a few good hot days and if tank maintains less than 79deg f chiller will get unplugged to.

Thanks again to all...

Happy Reefing..!!

8. Click Here!

9. SnooknRedz

The glory of LEDS. they negate dumb chillers! lol

10. dskyers

dskyers Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Very cool I have the same tank.

11. TheSurgeonSween

TheSurgeonSween Fire Shrimp

Im thinking of using this same design on my tank, how have the lights been holding up in the last month, is it starting to bend at all?

12. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

Sorry for the delay on the reply been busy with family events and the dreaded Work..

As far as the lighting system i have no sag at all or bending the only thing i can say i had a issue with was a Diatom bloom. I cut my Light cycle down to only 3-4 hours a day for about a week once i noticed it taperd off i slowly increased my light time up 2 hours every 3-4 days pending when i rememberd or wasn't at work.

Happy Reef keeping..