DIY Kits from Aquastyle Online ??? (China)

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Gillguy, Jun 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

WOW tank looks really nice,and great job with the led build..

2. Click Here!

3. Chisel

Chisel Plankton

Gillguy,

I'm impressed with those pics so far. What size is your tank?

4. netspawn

netspawn Astrea Snail

Wonder how many of those I would need over a 65g 18" deep, 36" across, I like the 72 led kit with 2 red and 2 violet ;), Wonder how these would stack up to the cree xp's

5. Gillguy

Gillguy Plankton

Thanks for the remarks guys. Chisel, my tank is a standard 90 gallons 48x18x24. I ordered 36 LEDS to supplement my T5. Aquastyle sent me 40 LEDS so I mounted 20 on each heatsink. The brightness of the LEDS are great but not enough for a reef tank without my four T5. I believe I would need at least 80 3 watt LEDS to be able to maintain and grow coral.

Netspawn, for your 65 gallon with those dimensions the 72 LED kit should be enough especially if you mainly have LPS. But how many LEDS is not just the question. What optics to use are important too. The optics depend on how high above the water will your LEDS be mounted and how close together they are. For my build I researched many forums and the consensus was that the closer the LEDS are to the water the wider the optics. Anything below 3 inches no optics. 12 to 18 inches 60 or 80. 18 to 24 inches 40 and above 24 inches 10 degree optics or less.

6. Chisel

Chisel Plankton

What about between the 3" and 12"? (or am I missing it?)

7. netspawn

netspawn Astrea Snail

Man I wish you can get a PAR meter on that baby and do a side-by-side to other DIY kits. Thank you for pullin that trigger and letting us see how awesome that build looks. I do want LPS but mainly SPS stocked tank. I would build two Heatsinks with 36 LED's a piece hung about 6"-8" off the top. I would use 60 degree optics. DO you think that would be fine for a mixed reef, SPS dominate?
    And I would love to see how a couple of Violets and reds look!!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

A single 36 kit should be fine. You will cook all your coral with 72.

10. netspawn

netspawn Astrea Snail

so making 2 heatsinks with 18-20 LEDs each will be plenty then? Im gonna order one of these soon me thinks.;D

11. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Should be fine. I'm curious to see how well the supplied drivers perform.

12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

To bad you don't have a Apogee Quantum meter. I'd really like to see some numbers from this kit.