DIY Kits from Aquastyle Online ??? (China)

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Gillguy, Jun 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. weems23

weems23 Astrea Snail

I built a fixture using aquastyle led to replace a 120W Chinese led panel on my 40g breeder. I switched about a month ago and coral growth has increased observably. SPS have responded the most noticeably and my softies seem to like it a lot too. My LPS haven't really changed much, but also never did badly under the 120W. I combined royal blue and blue 50/50 for 18 led's, and 50/50 10000K and 65000K for 18. I also added two red led and two 24" T5 actinic to the fixture to reduce shadowing and get some light on the edges. The one problem with these like all led's is that with lenses (which you should use over probably ~8" depth) the PAR drops drastically outside of the beam angle. At the bottom of mine with blue at full power and white at half(where I run it) the PAR was ~300umol 12"deep under the light, but 2" outside the light, at 4" deep (this is outside of the beam angle) PAR was ~35umol. I'm also conducting coral growth studies with the old 120W fixture in my school lab, so Iv got lots of PAR readings from both fixtures if anyone's interested and in two months can give some very detailed information about coral growth under these lights.

2. Click Here!

3. Bustopher

Bustopher Skunk Shrimp

I have the same tank and would love to see your results.

4. bhazard

bhazard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

You do realize the aquastyle leds are very similar chinese binned bridgelux leds that most of those black boxes use right? The addition of extra color leds + T5s are the primary factor with the growth and color increase here. Keep us updated.

5. weems23

weems23 Astrea Snail

They are Bridgelux, I knew that building it, but I took PAR readings with and without T5 running. Without I was reading ~300 on the bottom. I mostly added the T5 to reduce shading and hit some low lit corners. Running a few months now and I have visible growth on pretty much everything. I also just added UV leds out of curiosity and need to take new par readings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the current state of things directly in the center of the tank.

6. Bustopher

Bustopher Skunk Shrimp

We can't see pictures in your email. You need to download them and then upload them to a photohosting service then post those links here.
    www.imageshack.us
    www.tinypic.com

7. weems23

weems23 Astrea Snail

This is the fixture itself
    http://imageshack.us/a/img222/9450/1017121643.jpg
    and this is the frag rack that cover the middle and front half of the tank with acropora, montipora digi, and birdnest in direct light 3" from bottom, 200-300 PAR. Plate and torch are under the rack, they seem to like the diffused lighting. I don't know the PAR there.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img11/7879/1017121642.jpg
    Sorry about the crappy phone pictures. Also note that the montipora (which is very hard to distinguish from the birdnest) just finished recovering from bleaching and STN under the 120W panel fixture I was using before and has visible growth over the old skeletal tissue that died off. I'm also seeing a repeat of that event in the montipora digitata in my research, but I think its related to photo-inhibition threshold issues and not cheap led's(with coral at 3" deep and the light 4" off the water even cheap led's blast out light). I'll know once we grind them up and see what the tissue chlorophyll levels are in a month.

8. Click Here!

9. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I know this thread is kinda old but I figured I would ask anyway.

I have a 48x18x21 75 gallon tank for the money I was looking at the 48 led kit with the meanwell dimmiable drivers. would this be enough for my tank or would I need more than the 48 leds? also the color combo would be 20w all 10000K and 18 RB. I also would have 6 uv 6red. any thoughs on teh color combo as far as growth?

I want a crisp 12000K look but just cant drop a ton on leds so this seem like a viable solution.

TYIA

10. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012