DIY Kits from Aquastyle Online ??? (China)

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Gillguy, Jun 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I've already given you my input on this subject...but why would you go with the 72 LED kit from AquaStyle at roughly $220 when you can get a 36 kit from Rapid with much better diodes, much better electronics for $60 more? Hell, the 24 LED kit from Rapid would be enough to grow most corals, including the easy SPS (Seriatopora, Stylophora, Pocillopora, some Montipora). I highly suggest going with something other than the DIY Bridgelux.

For note, I have owned multiple Rapid LED (CREE) kits, a Bridgelux kit, an AI Sol, a Panorama Pro, a Boost LED Mu135W, some Ecoxotic stunners, and a couple of PAR bulbs. I have a bit of knowledge of what LEDs are worthwhile.

2. Click Here!

3. NOLAGT

NOLAGT Plankton

Seeing that you have indeed had quite a few different sets...would you suggest the cheap bridgelux route for me that is planning on using them on fresh water fish only (no plants). I am trying to light a tank that will end up being 96x26x31 and my only concern is getting the color right for the fish to look the best. I am thinking about ordering one of the aquastyle kits with a mix of 10k 6700k and some blues with an extra dimmer and seeing what each color does to the fish before I order the rest of the lights.

4. butcherman

butcherman Plankton

Any updates from the guys running the aquastyle kits?
    Are you happy with them?
    How long have you been running them?

5. Stercus Accidit

Stercus Accidit Feather Duster

Wow, have missed this thread completely.

I ordered the 14 LED dimmable kit from aquastyle on Dec. 5th got it on Dec. 16th and am really happy with it on my 20g. I put in the order comments that I wanted to have 5W 5RB and 4V and got exactly what I wanted plus a few extra LED's. Kit was really easy to put together with nothing else needed. I have had mine for about a week so far, so not much to say about how great they are, but so far, I'm happy.

I have seen the CREE's in action as well and they are fantastic LED's, but for me, I just couldn't justify the extra money.

6. butcherman

butcherman Plankton

7. Nvcheeko

Nvcheeko Plankton

Hi Guys Im looking at Getting a 800x800x450 Has Weir in Center OF tank
    Do you guys think i should say get 2x 36 Kits for each side of tank or will one be great thanks guys for help

8. Click Here!

9. cookesfish

cookesfish Astrea Snail

Wow that is awesome. Thanks for the link. The shipping to Alaska is always a problem even from the lower 48, so 90 bucks to get here is no big deal because we pay shipping no matter how many stores say its free!

10. arentspowell

arentspowell Skunk Shrimp

I got the 72 kit for my 75 gallon. I have only had them running for about 3 weeks. So far everything is very happy. I have mostly all LPS and some zoanthids and two RBTA and clams (maxima and crocea). I could have gone with crees but gave these a shot and am very happy. I went from 2x250w halides.

Here are some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Nvcheeko

Nvcheeko Plankton

Did you Get 2 Kits of the 72 or one on 2 heat sinks
    Looks Pretty sweet I think that will do my 900x900x450

12. arentspowell

arentspowell Skunk Shrimp

It was one 72 kit so 36 per heatsink. With heatsinks, fans, everything, it was right under $300.