DIY Kits from Aquastyle Online ??? (China)

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Gillguy, Jun 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Firefighter

Firefighter Astrea Snail

So for my 75 gal I'm thinking the 72 LED kit, 36 white and 36 blue spread over two heat sinks roughly 7" x 15" each with 60 degree optics hanging about 12-14" over the top of the tank. The tank will be fish and simple coral, mostly softies to start. Sound good? All shipped to me for under $300.

2. Click Here!

3. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

yeah i was looking at the same kit for my 72 bow front but im holding off until i find some good info on people seeing actuall coral growth..i was going to do like 32 whites and 40 bules, i heard their whites are really white like 10k

4. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

any updates? coral growth anyone ? pictures?
    :pics2:

5. pmrossetti1

pmrossetti1 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

what 55w fixture ready made?

6. milkman

milkman Plankton

Not 55w, but 55 Epistar (originally posted Bridgelux) LED's running at 2w for a total of 110w. They just dropped the price to $299 after the last round of price cutting.

Now there are dimmable ready made Chinese fixtures that were not out when the original post was made.

7. NOLAGT

NOLAGT Plankton

Am I glad to find this post! I am looking into doing LEDs on my FRESHWATER tank so I am not too worried about par and coral growth. I am looking for the right color mix and brightness. I also have a RKE on my tank (overkill i know but its fun) and I am happy to see that I can also dim the LEDs with it.

Tank is a 300 tall 8'x2'x30" tall and will house a mix of SA/CA cichlids with no live plants. Anyone have any input as to the color mix they would use for such a tank. I see aquastyle has a mix of different K whits and the blues. I would use more white but maybe a few blues....

So what do yall think would be enough to cover the full tank? I was thinking 4 pendant setup of maybe the 36 led kit? Might peace something together...still very very new to all this but im excited! I have 2 400w MH on the tank now 2' off the water in the lumnarcIII reflectors and 12k bulbs. I want a little more white color and the use of LED's.

And how changeable are those kits once all put together. Like if I went with no optics could I add some later if I needed. Also once the chips are cemented down how hard would it be to change incase I wanted to alter the color some?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. pwreef

pwreef Astrea Snail

Hmmm Freshwater. How bright do you want it to be? Replacing 2x400 MH is a lot of LEDs. Personally if I did not need royal blues I would try some high-wattage LED arrays. Cheap ones. Like:
    50W High Power LED Pure White, Warm White for Choice [LED-50WPWWW] - US$19.99 : SatisLED Store, China LED wholesaler-China LED Manufacture-Wholesale LED lights at Factory Price
    BTW on Satis they sell cheap 3W leds as well. You can check into that. Not sure how different they are from what Aquastyle sells.
    Similar arrays are sold on dealextreme.com, people make lights from those arrays as well.
    Not sure that you are going to get more efficiency than MH, but its worth a try. Definitely less heat in the room! Also I would look into using Cree XM-Ls running around 2A. Those are insanely bright. Now more to your questions. If you use the glue they supply the LEDs can be popped off pretty easily. I re-did one of my fixtures after I made it. The lenses just slide on. You can put them on or take them off at will. BTW hope you understood correctly that the drivers that Aquastyle sells cannot be used with RKE. So not sure why you would go with them. You can get the 36 kit and try if you never seen LED lights like these in person. I think all the RB ones are going to be waste for you though if you are just looking for white. Good luck!

10. NOLAGT

NOLAGT Plankton

Yeah 2 400w MH's...but they are at least 2' off the water if not 28" (bulb to water) so it is bright but not crazy reef bright. I have africans in there now and since they are mostly blues and yellows I have I think reeflux 12k's so its kinda bluish. The sa/ca I will have are not the same colors so I was looking for a whiter light but not yellow. The power consumption or heat is not the issue with the MH...its the 150$ in bulbs every year or so when they fizzle out...and the wide doesnt like the big dome reflectors on top the canopy. But I love the shimmer and want to try the LEDs if I can make it work. And if I can make 2 72led kits work that would be 1/2 the power and not a bad thing.

I did just try some 30w LED flood lights off ebay that claim 6-7000k and they were too yellow so they are going back. 1PC 30W LED FloodLight Spotlight Cool White 85-240V DHL | eBay I think I will run into the same issue with the ones you posted above. I liked the idea of 10k's with the BL leds. and a few blues to help the color along maybe (or just using them as monlights separate from the whites)...or mixing in a few 6700's but not too many.

I have never seen LEDs like this in person...so I was thinking about getting a little 14led kit to play with (I have 20 tanks running now so I can always use it else ware). I also know the rke cant dim the kit drivers...I bookmarked the link to the ones that can be. Its just not worth trying to buy a "kit" with out the drivers becasue the price doesnt vary much. So I would just get the kit and then upgrade down the line.

What I was kinda thinking for the 300 if it all works out (not sure if it would cover enough) is 2 of the 72led kits and getting some heat sinks from heatsinkusa like a 10x22 and having 4 "pendants" of 36 leds. Maybe the 80deg optics so it covers the whole tank? I might just get the 14led kit tho and also some extra optics mix of 10k rb and maybe some 6500 just to see if and how I like it.

Now from my limited reading and knowledge on leds...I should not run the rb on the same driver as the whites becasue of differences in there ratings?

I should also note that I am just now looking beyond those LED floodlights so there may be something better suited to my needs than the aquastyle...I had just looked at the 120w led pendant grow lights on ebay and after some searching on RC I got the name of aquastyle and this site.

This is the tank when I first set it up...it looks brighter than it really is...the bottom in the pic is white and in the tank now I have black sand but will be going to a tan. The new tank will be 6" taller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  11. tturbolife1

tturbolife1 Flamingo Tongue

12. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

hey i know this thread is a little old but ive read through it and want to know if everyone who got the aquastyle fixtures are still happy with them...im about to go with the 72 LED kit for my 55 gallon tank and dimming it down and slowly raising it up...I was just looking for some input and such and any recommendations if i get this kit