DIY ick medicine

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Camilsky, Nov 13, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Cool recipe camilsky , but I shouldnt have any ich since i keep my tank above 80 Fahrenheit.;D

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Identifications
    Formula: C12H21N2O3PS
    Elements: Carbon, Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Phosphorus, Sulfur

Enviromental Chemistry

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

wikipedia is NOT a scientific reference

Dimethyl glycol is used to make plastics more flexibility.

5. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

I'm adjusting the level of discussion to the needs of forum users. We often use wikipedia as easy-accessible source of knowledge just to provide some background information on the subject.

Please... :-/ Did you go through the reference I cited here ?! Please just look in the abstract (short description of the project) section of the reference. I hope You are not one of these people that JUST KNOW BETTER :-/ and neglect everything without further reading and spending some time on thinking about the problem.

I'm sorry but your argument sounds as convincing as: salt (potassium chloride) is used to prepare lethal injection, and we use it to prepare marine water ! or strontium/barium salts are neurotoxic + cause permanent damage of kindeys, and we use them as trace elements...

Dear Friend: chemical compound + dosage = application. Have You ever heard about LD50!

Please do the math with me:

10ml per 26.5gal so: 0.37 ml/gal of marine water. 0.37ml containes: 1.5 mg of glicol -> 1.5ppm (in marine ecologist jargon).
    What is the amount used in plastification process ?!

Cheers! BTW Enjoy the beauty of science!

P.S.

Just one more thing: this recipe didn't pop out my head just like that. It's a one of the laboratory protocols used in marine ecology labs. I fully respect your opposition and feel happy that we can discuss possible issues, but only when you formulate your problem in a more/or less logical way! ;)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

A lot of this stuff is way over the heads of a lot of hobbiests. I have a back ground in science and chemistry so I understand it a bit better then most.

I know dosage of a chemical can make all of the difference, but if somebody who doesnt know any better accidental messes up using those ingredients(chemicals) they can wipe out their whole tank.

dimethyl glycol is a pollutant in marine ecosystems, "dilution is not the solution to pollution", haha.

The best way to never get ich is to dip and quarantine all new fish and corals. Once you get it, then its a uphill battle that few win.

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

"laboratory protocols used in marine ecology labs" is not our reef aquariums.

We dont wanna get started on all the things they have killed in marine ecology labs because they just didnt know how to take care of the animals they were studying. Most advancments in the aquarium trade have been made by hobbiests, not scientists.

8. Click Here!

9. Camilsky

I think I have got nothing to add more! I've been applying this medication twice in my own tank (full duration 7 days): percula clown, 3 hermit crabs, 2 peppermint shrimps. It worked fine for me... Anybody interested ?! Just PM me...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  10. Camilsky

I've been informed by friends from LFS that this anti-ick medication can be normally purchased as ready product Exodin, (Aqua Medic, Germany). It costs 15 euro / 100ml (enough for treatment of 75gal 4xdoses). If one would do it in DIY manner it is approx. 3 euro/ 100ml... 5x cheaper...

Please check this link: Click here

So, once again I say: try before you buy! ;D

Enjoy the beauty of science lads!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  11. trying it again

trying it again Fire Shrimp

Would this mixture cause problems with PH???

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

PM messages leaves the 3Reef population in the dark so please, regardless, of nasayers, keep us updated as to your reseach, repeated treatments, long term results and any side effects that you might find!

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and if you come up with any other ideas, please keep us updated! Many here can help you along in your research if need be! :D