DIY Hood

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by cuttingras, Jan 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

LOL there are two outlets one on the side, one in back. One step at a time. I wore hubby out on the hood. It's gonna take him a while before he does anything else for my tank. Although, I could do the the wiring myself......hmmmmmm.......

You're using AutoCAD? Man, I used a yellow legal pad and a pen. You're too high tech for me :lol: :p j/k can't wait to see your thread!

2. Click Here!

3. sharkyshark

sharkyshark Spaghetti Worm

lol the bf used markers and printer paper... turned out a square with a confetti looking rock in the middle (he did it when we just had one lr) ::)

4. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

Im thinking I found this thread too late, but reflective acrylic is unbelievable. You can just screw it in and then put in the lights. I highly reccomend it. Since you are just buying the super thin sheets, it isnt too expensive either. It looks fabulous. Kudos. Kudos. Bravo!!!

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Yeah a little late but it's cool. The lights are doing great with the old reflectors. I'll tell ya, if I went to a hs around here and asked for reflective acrylic, they'd look at me like I had 3 heads. They're still in the 50's here.

I still can't believe my flame wrasse jumped through the 2" hole in the back of it. Good aim and a death wish, I guess. It's all good though. I do have to turn on the extra clip on fan to cool it off because the lights heat up the water to 84+ and I like it at 79. wonder what it's gonna be like this sumer.........:-/

6. fishoholic

fishoholic Purple Spiny Lobster

Good job on the canopy gras. But I wouldn't have used particle board though, you might have issues where you attached the hinge to the board with moisture getting into the screw holes and rotting the wood, you might want to triple coat that thing with some kind of clear coat lacquer to help it last longer.