DIY Hood

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by cuttingras, Jan 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

wow no kidding! never thought about that! i'll have to look that up. don't they use like nickel or something to make mirrors?

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

4. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Well it was specifically referring to aluminum foil and it's general toxicity. That mylar stuff looks like it would work great!

(jftr aluminum is suspected to be a partial cause of dementia in humans, not to mention all the other things it might cause!)

1 person likes this.
  5. cuttingras

from what I've been seeing/reading so far, mylar is used widely in the hydroponics/growing industry. seems pretty reasonably priced too! scary about the aluminum and nope I won't be using the foil...thanks for the heads up on that! karma comin your way!

6. bc219

bc219 Millepora

7. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Don't use foil its to thin and will tear first time you try to wipe it down. I use Aluminum Flashing from Home Depot. Comes in 6, 12, 24" widths, used spray adhesive to attach it and a couple of stainless steel screws with washers in the corners and along the edges for extra holding power. Protects the wood, won't corrode, Reflects the light and salt spray can be wiped off really easy. Seems like every time I wipe it down it gets shinier that the last time to.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

well cool beans, thanks Gazog and BC!!!! I'll look at my lhs, the one that is going out of biz. he's got all kinds of stuff, he might have some flashing!

10. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I might be paranoid but I'd stay far away from aluminum. What if there were water droplets from moisture buildup on it that dripped back down in the water?

I like the mylar idea personally, or the other stuff that article suggested.

Just me though.

11. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Thanks for the link,

Very interesting, I'm really not to worried about salt creep falling back into the tank because I don't let it get that much on the aluminum so it can fall back in. I wipe it down every couple of weeks.

Might try that mylar though, got a pretty good Idea for some DIY reflectors I might try it on.

12. cuttingras

yep good article! I am staying away from aluminum foil, but hubby is going to the lhs to see if they have anything else that might just work. gonna see if he has any mylar.....hey my bro makes signs..I bet he's got some!!!!..