DIY Hood

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by cuttingras, Jan 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Here are some pics of the hood hubby and I built yesterday. I just got thru Kiltzing it. Gotta run to the LHS for some black paint and then I'll be in business!!! I still have to drill a few holes for cords and fans and also breakdown then install my pc's/T6' into it! I'll update as I go.
    Materials:
    1 sheet 5/8" MDF
    1 6' piano hinge
    Kiltz
    Paint
    Tablesaw
    Circular saw
    drill
    air nail gun with brad nails
    wood glue
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. sharkyshark

sharkyshark Spaghetti Worm

looks good!!! thats gonna be me and the bf here shortly. advice tips etc would be greatly appreciated

1 person likes this.
  4. cuttingras

Thank You!!!! Advice?? measure twice cut once. :lol:

add 1/2" to the dimensions of your tank(of your measurements ie.. 72 3/8 + 1/2" long X 18 1/2 + 1/2 wide...) I'll make a really good detailed diagram of it, since the yellow paper sketch is wrong. as we were building we figured out it was wrong.

5. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

6. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Looks great! Why MDF? I wouldn't think that would take the moisture all that well...I guess if you're painting it.. just food for thought. I love the piano hinge idea though. K+

7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Sweet hood gras.... Really makes a difference. 8)

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

Thanks y'all!!! MDF with gobs of Kiltz and Rustoleum Enamel. Good stuff right there!!! Oh man! I just got thru with the first coat of paint on the stand and OMG it looks GOOD!!!!! The hood looks good too painted black!

10. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I have one that I'm about to throw away (just like that) because it keeps getting mold buildup in it! At night I leave it open but it doesn't help!!!

11. cuttingras

there will be holes cut in this for ventilation and fans. Also, I told hubby that if it needs it, he might have to cut out a few long sections on the back for more air flow. I'm going to clear caulk all the seams after painting and the inside where the lights go is getting sprayed with heavy duty spray adhesive, then I'm going to line it with aluminum foil. I figure it'll help reflect more light into the tank. I'll let ya know how all that goes. here's a pic of the stand with the first coat.
    [​IMG]

12. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Mine has the back totally open and has 2 fans, and it's made of oak. I don't know what the problem is, don't care anymore because I'm tired of messing with it. Yours will probably be fine, I just am tired of mine.

Regarding the aluminum foil, I considered this at one point, and I can't remember where I read it but it said DO NOT use aluminum foil for a reflector. Something about it poisoning the tank. I remember it suggesting to use the material used on mirrors to make the reflection instead. The article said you can buy it from glass places.