DIY: HOB power filter fuge

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by stauchistory, Sep 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Is this too small to be effective(lol) :-/
    [​IMG]

My tank is in my sig.

2. Click Here!

3. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

That would work. Just make sure to slow the flow down to it's lowest setting.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

OK. That is shown with the highest flow setting. So I'll just dim the flow knob & fill it with cheato. haha. How much would I need?

5. stauchistory

stauchistory Feather Duster

It's probably hard to say how much you will need until you get some in there. I'm getting mine in the mail tomorrow or Thursday and I can let you know how much I got and how it fits. My compartment is a bit bigger than yours. (approx. 5.5" wide, 5.5" water depth from top of LR, and 3.5" from front to back)

I'm also planning on chaeto inside my tank hidden behind a large rock, so if I have extra I will be able to use it.

6. nightster

nightster Pajama Cardinal

I just put a tennis ball size amount in mine, not tightly bound together though. If I pushed it together it'd be smaller

7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

any chaeto yet?

8. Click Here!

9. stauchistory

Nope. Hoping for Thursday. I'll keep you posted.

10. stauchistory

Got my chaeto in the mail today and got it added to my DIY fuge. I have no time to post pics today but will tomorrow ASAP. I slowed the flow by adjusting the placement of the inlet tube, but it still seemed a bit fast. I then raised the tube slightly which slowed it to a more acceptable level.

As strands of chaeto flow into my tank from the power filter spillway, will they start growing there, and if so, is it going to cause any problems down the road?

11. stauchistory

As stated previously, I received my chaeto package yesterday before I went to work. I had time to add it to the fuge, and thats about it. When I came home I peeked inside and saw a few VERY small white snails crawling around on top of the chaeto, and one crawling on the side of the fuge, above the water line. There was also what I believe was a Cerith Snail in my tank that hitched a ride as well.

I'm sure the chaeto is loaded with pods, but I didn't see any personally. On the other hand, I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for either since this is my first fuge. I have several types of magnifying glasses that I use in my job and will examine it later.

Here are 2 nice pictures showing the chaeto in my DIY fuge, as shown from the side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Thats alot of chaeto. What kind of ring you running Dingo? lol