DIY Fish Feeder

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by ldrhawke, Oct 28, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ldrhawke

ldrhawke Plankton

I made this years ago......as you can see it works great. All it is, is a discared pill bottle with two holes drilled into the cap and the bottom cut off. I had some scrap plastic and I made a holder so it could be set on top of the tank and hang the bottle in without having the fish knocking it into the tank as they fed. The black handle is for weight to keep it from being knocked off as they feed.

I drop dry food, wetted down with amino acids, and frozen food directly into the holder cup and allow it to slowly flow out as it melts. The butterfly gets his beak directly up the cap 3/16" holes to feed and he remains fat. Food never hits the bottom or goes over the over flow.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

So simple, that's great! The last pic speaks for itself. :cool3:

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

wow thats really cool!

6. ldrhawke

ldrhawke Plankton

My tank is set up for periodic heavy flow recirculation. To inject bubbles into the flow I simply put an air stone in the tank just below the recirculation suction inlet. When the pump is on, it sucks in the air.

The recirculation pump comes on every 6 hours for a 15 minute period. During the 15 minute on period the air pump comes on for two 1 minute periods. This and my lighting are all controlled using X10 relays and an X10 computer program called Indigo on my Mac. I have a more detailed write up on http://www.reefland.com/index.php?s=

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

8. Click Here!

9. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

I have been trying to get my fish off of a brine ahrimp/flake only diet to using Formula 2. The only problem I have been having is they will pick at it on the way down, but none of them, except Rocky the Hawkfish, will eat anything once it hits the sand. This post just showed me how to keep the food up in the water for a while longer. Thank You! :thumb_up:

Mike