DIY Filtration on 200+ gallon aquarium (w/three sided view)

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Otty, Jan 24, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Is that OceanMotion valve very noisy?

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Does this look better Jason or more of what you had in mind?
    top and side view.JPG

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Hey Otty the Ocean Motion as silent no noise at all.

Have you thought about drilling the bottom of the tank.
    Check this out drilling the tank bottom

Not saying this is the right way or the best way just throwing Ideas out there for you

J

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I am looking at drill bits online as we speak. If I go with one hole in the tank for the OF what size should it be to run the sump. (Bulkhead size and drilled size, 1" 1 1/2")??:-/ I believe the closed loop I will intake water off the side of the OF and return it with one of those 4 way valves (pretty cool gadget) across the top of the tank. I would like to only drill as few holes as possible, 1 hopefully. It is looking like I will have to do this myself because the glass company here in town doesn't want to touch it being 3/4" thick.

6. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

I know this was a few posts ago, but the lights sound kinda wierd!! They are probably not the right kind of reflectors. The tank probably looked cloudy because he was using the wrong color bulb, or that is what im thinking. Plus the fact that he is selling it, would make him not want to clean it anymore, lol. Good luck drilling, and which tank did you decide on??

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I am taking the moster (265 gal), go big or stay at home, right!..;D The bulbs he was using was aquarium bulbs but the housing around the light was the big aluminum light sheild that you see in a factory. I thought about taking the lights and wiring them to be sideways in stead of straight up and down ( horizontal intead of vertical) so it would have more surface area covered with the bulb. Then buy some refectors for HM to put in place of the domes. Got a lot of work to do in the next couple of weeks. I will take pics! The lights look like this.
    View attachment elights_1931_44146460.bmp

8. Click Here!

9. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

SWEET!! Thats right go big, or go home, ,lol. I guess im the small kid on the block again, :hehe: . Ive thought about doing lighting like that before. Ebay has all kinds of lights like that, and the ballastes can fire an aquarium bulb, but I wasnt to sure about the reflecter. I found a person that has a canopy for my tank, and it has 3 175 watt MH, and 2 110 watt VHO actinic lights in it. I just cant get a price out of them, lol. If you want to sell something tell the person the price!!! Well more luck to you,

Michael

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Otty as for the drilling its simple as hell to do if you are sure what tank is made of ? If its a Ocenaics or AG then not a worry they never use pempered on the vertical panles just the bottom and in some of these are not tempered a Perfecto is Iffy at best they don't eve no what they have .. I was assured by a rep there that the tank I was fix'n to dill was not tempered LOL well about 3 mins into the drilling I thought it was a drive by LOL.. But the larger the tank and glass thickenss the better and easier it is. But if you are not sure you can ? Its best to get it done.. As for the lights ? When the time comes for them I cn hook you up with wnat ever you want.. I wire mie to run on 240 V but they will go 120 208 240 and 277 and 480 V. and I just got my 3 400 W ballast for 180.00 for all three refelctors are like 28.00 ea and I make my base holders rom anidiozed alum 2x4 work boxes amd use S.S faceplate to mount the socket to. That way they are rock solid and never a worry of them moving.. The stuff I use is what we use for outside wiring for and around Pools and hot tubs.

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Well I just talked to the owner tonight and he says it is a Perfecto tank. :-/ I guess I will have to drill into the very bottom of the side pane and put a 90 degree elbow for a pickup tube. So Tangster is the pic I posted in this thread with the light is that OK to run in an aquarium setting?? Should would save me a good chunck of change if it was, I could funnel that money somewhere else. It doesn't look that hard to drill and I don't mind DIY if I just find the right bit. I brought all the wood home tonight to start tearing down the wall, I have to put up two support poles because I am sinking this in a load bearing wall for the upstairs. It will look awsome when I am finished though.

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Ok this is a really quick diagram of a tank with no drilled holes in the sides. The holes drilled in the bottom of the tank at the front could be 1 outlet of a Ocean Motion 4way. Then the bottom rear another. Then the spray bar on top rear then top front. [​IMG]

Attached Files: