DIY Filtration on 200+ gallon aquarium (w/three sided view)

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Otty, Jan 24, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Otty,
    Ya go 3 sided. There are many ways to do the plumbing. I would first go coast to coast on the overflow on the one end rather than 2 boxes. the boxes will likely just make it more complicated than it needs to be.
    for water flow you could make your closed loop come from the bottom and the top and that way no sides need to be drilled. check out OceanMotions not necessarily for the products (I love them) but for great plumbing ideas.
    I wont be as hard as it looks once you get a good plan. something to keep in mind " don't think of your return water as Flow. this will allow you to build in great flow with out relying on a fixed flow amount"

J

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

:thumbs_up

4. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I just checked out that site. And there goes an hr of time at work.
    All the ideas and possibilities.
    I see another project in the works :)

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

So if I do the overflow like yours from front to back glass where will I pick up water for the closed loop(wall mount of overflow)? If I understand you correct I would only need to drill one hole for the overflow then bring water in over the top of the tank and then across the top as well as a using a T at the top to run another line to the bottom and across the back of the tank. I will make a layout tonight or tomorrow and post it. I have to act fast on this tank or he will sell it to someone else. Thanks for the link and advice.

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Jason,
    Does this look anything like what you are suggesting, or am I way off??:-/

cl and sump.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  7. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Otty, Otty, Otty!!! Go for 3 sides!! I dont have much input on this, Im just gonna read along and see what happens. Your so lucky finding those tanks!!

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Ya that's a good start. The blue lines of the closed loop could be just the top spray section and repeat the same thing but pointing the opposite direction.

you could also have lines run under the tank and come up and through the far end of the tank.

J

I'll post more later

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Otty you will need to drill the tank on what will be a end panel of glass or dead center and make a an acrylic 4 sided box of drilled in the center or something like this unit I'm designing now for installation this is a bullet nosed tank but the concept will be the same

Attached Files:

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Otty also you get what you want and I'll help you set it up anyway with anything you need or want.. If you need Dilling help or bits to overflows anything you can think of I can make work :) and either supply it or tell you where to find it From overflows any color to any type of custom lighting from M/H T5 or LED's All it takes is some time to properly lay it out and then the cha ching factor for the parts.. Thats the bad part ): Bottom line is to do it prrperly the first time so you can just enjoy it for many yrs to come and not have to be redoing it all the time..

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Thanks a bunch for the help. I am kind of scared to do the drilling myself so I talked to the local glass company last night and worked out a deal that I can just bring the tank in and wait on it since I have livestock that will be in barrels waiting on this tank to come back up. Is it that easy to drill yourself?? I do have one question though: he has 3 metal halide lights above this tank but it is the same fixtures you would see in the top of a factory. He runs them on 110V and said he just buys an aquarium bulb to put in it. Will this be sufficient for corals? The tank just didn't look very bright but the water is kind of cloudy, I think he is just tired of taking care of it.