DIY Dimmable RapidLED Kit - Converting from MH's

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by evolved, Sep 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Wow. I have a bit of reading to do.
    I'm going to get rid of my mh and go led. I'm not certain if I will diy or buy pre made though. It all depends on price and time.

2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Ok, I read most of the posts and now I have a few questions and comments.
    are you dosing or running a ca reactor? I ask because sps growth in this thread is decent, but not as much as I have seen on personal or friends tanks with mh and reactors. That's not a bad thing though because my own tank grew out so fast that the sps choked off flow and made another problem. I looked at your tank thread and didn't see any equipment specs.
    light is only 1 part of the growth equation. Based on what I have personally seen (both qualitative and quantitative PAR wise) leds can easily rival mh for reef tank use.

Did you use plexi or acrylic for the splash guard? Acrylic allows a lot more light through than plexi. Using our clubs own par meter has shown significant decreases in par between plexi and acrylic shields. Even glass drops par a bit. Clean unscratched acrylic will allow more light through than glass. However, glass is much more scratch resistant.

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

That'd be a tough question for myself these days, if I was in the market again. I'd be so tempted to put 2 Radions on my tank and call it a day...

I dose, 3 part, mix my own using BRS. I've been running the Bubble Magus doser for a while now.

Yes, aware of that later issue. Look a page back or so and you'll see what happened to my lexan after 10 months or so. I've been using acrylic for the splash guard ever since; there's definitely been an increase of light (again); so much so that I had to dim back down the LEDs.

I've been fighting phosphates for several month now as well, so growth and colors aren't as good as they once were, hence no pictures for a while now. I am beginning to get things back on track however, and hope to have something beautiful to show again in a few months. Never a dull moment in this hobby... :)

5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Yes, I fully agree. Never a dull moment.

6. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak