diy chiller from a fast cool fridge"

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by airtruck, May 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FuzzBall03

FuzzBall03 Flamingo Tongue

Freon?! We haven't used that stuff in ages... you must be referring to refrigerant ;)

Pretty interesting design here... really gives me some ideals with methods I've used to cool super-overclocked computer systems.

Have you given up on this, or is it still work in progress?

2. Click Here!

3. kgross

kgross Skunk Shrimp

The question is what is the capacity of the compressor. I have a feeling you will overheat the compressor trying to cool any size of a tank. They normally just do not have enough capacity.

So does it have any info on the compressor so you can figure out how much cooling it can actually do? Or what the duty cycle of it is?

Kim

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I can see you guys never spent many hrs studying the principles of refrigeration , It unlike aquariums is not A HOBBY

First off the compressor for the refrigerator works on different pressures then a chiller You will need to add or adjust the TXV if what you now have is metered by a piston ? And also that evaporator plate being vinyl coated will greatly reduce the heat exchange and then that will drive up the high side pressures until something gives be it the compressor a solder joint or the condenser coil or the evap coil ..

Now lets say the evap plate blows then the Ethan1112Tetrafluoro AKAaka 134a has a boiling point of minus 14.9 F Degs and the oil that is used may be a natural mineral oil or a Alkyl benzene or even a Polyester based oil ? But either or will kill your tank out.. You have to move the proper flow of refrigerant through the evap coil and at the proper pressures to catch the heat molecules in the water then that has to be matched to the condenser coil for flows to release the captured heat molecules or the gas pressures will be effected even more .

I guess its up to your ability and what you value your tanks corals at as the real deciding factor ? Good luck have any questions holler I'll answer what I can.

1 person likes this.
  5. airtruck

airtruck Astrea Snail

wow tangster scares the hell outa me,:eek:
    you make that stuff up ??
    lost me after the first line. :huh2:
    so your kinda saying it wont work...
    kinda figured that it would overheat if it ran too long, dont think there are made to run for hours.

6. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

No, he didn't make that up. With the 30+ yrs of elecrical, heating, cooling, and plumbing experience he has, he will not steer you wrong.

7. asking4trouble

asking4trouble Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Wow, 3reef never fails to impress - the brain pool here is awesome. Bet if u all got together u could send a tank to the moon :)

8. Click Here!

9. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

LOL send a tank to the moon..

Tangsters post was nuts

10. airtruck

airtruck Astrea Snail

so what would the major differnces be between a chiller and a cooling plate style fridge,
    are they similar in any way? other than the water runs thru a titanuim tube sorrounded by some type of coolant or heat extracting liquid "im guessing never had one" verses a plate used to extract heat.
    i bow to your extreme knowledge in a humble manner for i truely know way less that i thought i did,:confused:

11. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

lmfao!!!!!!!