DIY bio pellet help (what do ya think, complete?)

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by diverdan, May 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

You are SO close to the correct tumble on the second video. Good luck! I have no idea about plumbing to help with that end. Hopefully the advice above is what you need to do the trick!

2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

I could possible hard plumb everything to the reactor with 3/4" but I have 1/2" connectors welded to the reactor itself. (Speaking outloud) unless I redo the cover to the reactor, but that is a lot of work. (I'm back) 3/4" all the way to the reactor and then 1/2" PVC union to the reactor itself.
    No problem I have a lot of plumbing fittings. Most likely don't have to go back to the store.
    Would that be better if I go 3/4" all the way to the reactor and then 1/2" the rest of the way?
    Thanks all for the good advise.
    OFK: I know I'm right there. Thank you.

4. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Ya, just in general, I try to plumb everything big. I understand the thing or component is going to be small, or a restriction... but everything to it is not a problem. 1/2" connections on the reactor is fine. 1/2" will flow plenty for your application.

5. diverdan

Ok, so I'll run 3/4" all the way to the reactor and then 1/2" from the reactor on to the skimmer.

6. diverdan

Also... I read quiet ones are notorious for starting backwards. The only reason I ask is because I have to jump start it almost everything I start it up. I'm thinking of cleaning it and making sure it doesn't start backwards. Maybe maybe that is another issue.

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Humm... well ya, that would be a problem. It would pump water, just not very well. Like a Sicce skimmer pump.

What kind of skimmer do you have it going too.

8. Click Here!

9. diverdan

That's what I was thinking. I have it running to a ASM G2 skimmer.
    It really does pull a lot of junk out to begin with. A lot darker since I started running the bio pellets.

10. diverdan

I'm soaking the QO in a vinegar bath right now and getting all the hard plumbing in. I am actually going to hard plumb the return as well. It will all be 3/4" PVC except the reactor itself which will be 1/2". Hoping that with the vinegar bath and the bigger piping it will cut back on the flow restriction.
    So I am completely getting rid of the 1/2" barbed fittings and the flexible hose and going all to 3/4" piping. I am also trying to minimize the amount of elbows I am putting in but there is going to be a few.
    Fingers crossed.

11. diverdan

KAlrighty ladies and gentlemen. Here's what I did tonight/ this morning. I vinegar bathed my QO, I hard plumbed my reactor in. All 3/4" except for the reactor itself which is 1/2". Instead of having my reactor on top of my sump I put it under my stand so there was only 1' of head pressure instead of 3'.
    There were a number of things that played into this thing not running correctly and I think I solved them all with everyone's help. Below are pics and a video of what it is now. The valve supplying the reactor is half shut. Let me know what you think.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368521764.972346.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368521791.863035.jpg
    Top down in sump
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368521826.769397.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMyPYWJMq6E&sns=em

12. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

:) you have nice even flow... it'd be wonderful if it was a hint slower haha. But at least it isn't tearing through that bottom section now.