DIY bio pellet help (what do ya think, complete?)

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by diverdan, May 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

It's true, you could approximate a shaller cone by adding in a small flat plate. Something like \-/ instead of the \/ that you have now. The only concern would be that you have enough room for your input to not get too obstructed.

2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Yes, I won't mess with that then and I will put some holes in the tube. The supply tube. Near the bottom, and up toward the top of the pellets. Not to many just enough.

So if I add a plate I could always switch out the tube to a shorter one. That won't be too hard.

I don't think a mj 1200 would have enough flow since I'm running the QO 4000 and that's not enough.

Yes I am trying to run a liter. That's 100g treatment and I have a 124g +30g or so in my sump. I was running half the dose and things were doing good I just wanted to run the liter.

4. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So what is the 4000 putting out... I thought it was 220.

And no, he "tube" is what I am talking about.don't put any holes in that. Put flow where you want it... out the bottom up through the pellets.... not just randomly shooting out a pipe.

Yes, just cutting the supply tube in the reactor down to the length you need. Where ever that needs to be.

And... I am such a dork. I had to look at you original pic to see your reactor again... first, it does not look overly big diameter wise. Second, that plate you had in there is where the pellets should be sitting. Yes I realize you had it to make sure they were not lost. So you need a plate with smaller holes and more of them to direct the flow up through them to fluidize the bed. Then have another plate above to make use you do not loose them. Actually... lots of folks use that arts and crafts stuff to make screens. Works really well.

But I'm not trying to confuse you. You are close with what you are doing and it may even be better... if you have to "go back to the drawing board" we can talk about that. But I bet a few tweeks of what you have now with the cone will give you what you want. I would stick with that myself instead of starting over right now.

5. diverdan

Thanks, I really don't want to start over myself. I took out the plate all together because the pellets weren't going anywhere and I felt that was restricting flow to much.

My plan: add a plate to give a bowl effect and add a small diffuser cone on that.
    If they are still bouncing around too much I will dial down.
    If dialing the flow doesn't help I will add the mesh plate above that to keep the pellets a certain height above the bottom plate and cone.

6. diverdan

The Qo 400 is suppose to put out 991gph but I don't think it's putting near that out. Like Alex said. Some pumps don't like the back pressure that I'm putting it through. I think output now is in the 200s gph

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Humm... curious... Maxijet on BRS said 1000gph recirs, 200gph powerhead... never seen specs put out like that.I wonder if that is what you are going by.

Ya...never mind... looked it up... you have all the flow in the world. Plenty for what you want. There is no such thing as "some pumps don't like back pressure". They don't care. Throttling is irrelevant either from gravity, or valve, or filter media. Ya, some pumps are built for higher pressure... but that does not matter to what you are doing.

Yes you can starve a pump throttling it too much and not giving it enough cooling which the water does... but you are not close to that doing what you are doing.

8. Click Here!

9. diverdan

That's what I thought. I thought I had enough flow. I am in the process of making some plates and some small diffuser cones.

Thanks powerman and jimmy.

Hopefully this will work.

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

No sweat... you are the one doing all the work. ;D

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Brilliant use of your home made bowls!

Toddler safe? I resemble that remark! (resemble)

Brilliant work on the cone fabbing also- true craft!

12. diverdan

Ha ha thanks Todd.

Lol toddler safe, what does that really mean?

Thanks. I like gabbing stuff. It's means a lot more to make it. It's so easy to spend money. Yea it's nice to buy stuff but I like knowing I did it.

So how is this bottom plate with diffuser rod. Has a little bowl effect to it.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368395904.517009.jpg