DIY bio pellet help (what do ya think, complete?)

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by diverdan, May 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

In order to work correctly, the pellets need to be agitated. This agitation knocks off bacteria from the pellets for skimming (thus the real nutrient removal). If you don't do this, then the bacteria can build up and it creates issues.

2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

I da and have been searching for the best way to do it. This will work. Thank you for that suggestion. I will do this if my wife lets me use her oven.

The following comment explains the tumble.

Yes all my pellets eventually tumble. It's the pellets along the outter rim and about an inch in that hardly tumble and basically vibrate.

I was just confused because my QO 4000 wasn't producing much flow but Alex explained that certain pumps don't perform we'll with back pressure. I removed my tube that goes to the skimmer and it is only flowing at about (roughly) 150 gph. My flow really is the issue. I am going to do the cone thing and if it doesn't work then I will upgrade the pump. I have not seem the brs cone build. I will check it out.

There has been some great advise and am very happy with all the DIYers that have supported throughout this.

Thanks for the help Todd.

Great explanation. Thank you for answering that.

My skimmer really pulls a lot of junk already but I know there could be more.

4. diverdan

So I made my cone. Going to put it in after the little monster goes to bed. My wife was awesome and let me use her oven.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368239406.342821.jpg
    Thought I did a good job cutting the acrylic and it looked real nice.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368239448.567616.jpg
    That's the end result. A decorative bowl. Lol. I laughed so hard. Looked horrible.
    Decided to try it again with thinner acrylic
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368239511.908139.jpg
    That was the end result with the thinner acrylic. Not much better. Lol. My wife told me to try again and try it a different way. She was so supportive. She was so interested in why I was doing it and thought it was so cool.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368239608.355497.jpg
    That's what I ended up doing with my first 2 attempts.
    Anyone wanna buy my new decorative bowls. Toddler safe. Lol

1 person likes this.
  5. diverdan

This is my 3rd attempt.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368239781.708066.jpg
    New idea.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368239800.467068.jpg
    Who would have thought I could bake. Lol. Turned out pretty good. I will fit it in a little bit.
    Thanks for all the help.

6. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

Maybe you had the heat a bit high? I'd think you'd want to start plasticizing it and then you might be able to form it somewhat.

7. diverdan

I tried several times. With heat lower and higher. The circle was just too much plastic and doesn't form a cone I pulled it out of the oven and tried to form it by hand and it just didn't work. A half circle heated up and then formed. Worked awesome.

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

10. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Excellent cone man! And those kid safe bowls are pretty sweet as well. :)

11. diverdan

Thanks Alex! Almost done.

Thanks! Yea she kept saying cake when I was baking the acrylic, ha ha she thought I was making food. Lol. When she was eating dinner she turned toward the kitchen and said "I want cakes" so I have her the bowls and she ate her macaroni out of them. Lol. So much fun.

Almost done. Will post pics and videos when complete.

12. diverdan

SUCCESS!
    I installed the cone that I fabbed up. I spent some time trying different heights with the tube supplying the water to the reactor. After some time (several hrs) I got it. Every pellet is being tumbled very well. I still used the reducer at the end to produce a higher pressure and I had to heat and bent the pipe a little to one side so that I could make good use of the cones shape to tumble the pellets.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368256725.266387.jpg
    First video is before the cone.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptrV_C9l3fI&sns=em
    After the cone install
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alGukg4J7DI&sns=em
    And another because I am happy right now
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrVKSZ9MxCQ&sns=em

Let me know what you think. Is this a good amount of tumble.

Thanks everyone for the help and getting me to this point. I just want verification that this is good. Thank you