DIY bio pellet help (what do ya think, complete?)

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by diverdan, May 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'm a big DIY guy myself... built my stand, canopy, and LED lights.

As suggested above, I would see if there's a way you can direct the flow in a meaningful way... the only other option would be I guess to increase the flow? Can you post a video of it?

2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

That is what I'm thinking, I just need to put an inverted cone in there and hopefully that works. I have seen some that work great with a 220gph pump and I thought a quietone 4000 would be enough flow. I'll try to get a video up.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

now coming from a mechanically impaired individual, you could try a stronger pump (if you have one) and test it to see if the flow is the issue....I modded my TLF reacter so that the tube directing flow into the pellets is about an inch off the bottom. I can't tell by the picture how low your internal tube goes. I hope this makes sense. I'm just trying :)

5. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I think your pump should be strong enough.I would try the inverted cone idea,maybe a small funnel cut to the diameter of your chamber and siliconed in place.If it doesn't work well it should be no problem to remove it.

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

They aren't very good stock. Do some research.

Will, one thing i found being in your situation is alot of pumps do not like the back preseure a ball valve or smaller tubing present and refuse to run right. I got a super cheap pump that already had a 5/8" outlet and it runs awesome.

7. louy99

louy99 Feather Duster

I own one and runs perfect stock...that is my research

8. Click Here!

9. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

How far does the pipe inside the reactor go down? or how high is it from the bottom?

10. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

I don't have a stronger pump at the moment. If I can't get it to work with a reverse cone I'll get a stronger one.
    It's about 3/4"-1" from the bottom.
    Makes sense to me.

My thought exactly.

That's what I have heard. If I have to mod something then why not just make it myself.

I'm a DIY guy. That's where all your products start out. Someone had an idea and built it. Products go through testing and need to be tweaked and modded. So this is a Will's 220 reactor. Rated at 220g. It's still in the testing phase.

After I try the inverted cone and if it doesn't work then I'll try a different pump. Thanks Alex. I didn't know that.

The pipe is about 3/4"-1" from the bottom.

11. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

If you have some acrylic, you can make your own cone... cut a circle, place it on a nail or something and set it in the oven on a low temp. It'll droop down, creating a cone.

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I don't know, thus I'm asking.

If the water is pretty much flowing past and around, threw the pellets, why does it need to 'tumble'?
    All this, - 'oh- my tumble isn't enough'

In my DIY phosguard reactor- (uses Phsoguard pellets), the pellets tumble some, but NOT every pellet at the same time!