DIY bio pellet help (what do ya think, complete?)

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by diverdan, May 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

... we have lift off!!!

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I turn it down just a tad but looks even

4. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Alright guys I'll turn it down.
    One more thing. Right now the supply tube is about 3/4" above the diffuser rod, would it be better if I were to lower the tube lets say about 1/4" or so above the rod or am I good with what I have if I just turn the flow down.
    I just think if I lover the supply tube it will not be blasting through more pellets and be giving me a sweeping action on the bottom.
    What do you think.
    Now I have mor pump than I know what to do with. Lol. Yesterday I didn't have enough pump. Crazy what a few things to enhance a pumps performance will do.
    Thanks everyone.

5. diverdan

Hey everyone. Against my better judgement and other suggestions to just leave it alone. I didn't. I replaced the supply hose with one that was about 1/2" longer or so. Right now it sits about a quarter inch above the diffuser rod. Turned it on and.... It works great! Below are 2 videos. Please let me know which one you think is a better flow. With the flow all the way up they dance around with limited to no scrubbing at the bottom, but don't know for sure. The second is dialed back quite a bit. Just want to see what the experts think look better.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOOsFFTaILo&sns=em
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHXp6hG5cG0&sns=em

Or is this still too much?

6. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'd call it good personally.

7. diverdan

#1 or #2?

8. Click Here!

9. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

10. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

11. diverdan

#2 it is. That's what it's on right now. So I will leave it there. I even think I have enough pump to run my chiller off the same pump.
    So is this satisfactory, do you think this good? No modifications need to be made? It seems to e running good. It will do what I built it to do?
    I just want to thank everyone for all the help and all the good input/ advise.
    You guys are awesome.
    Best place to get advise and get help.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm so glad you solved your situation! It made sense that your pump was big enough so I'm so happy you figured it out to get the most out of it! #2 looks good to me as well.....if anything, maybe just a tad, tad, slower so it's a gentle tumble is what I've always read. I'd keep it how you have it now and see what happens though since you've done so much work already. If you find they are not doing the trick for you, (although I am still waiting for mine to do the trick :)) then maybe look at slowing the tumble a tad.

Yay for you and all the pro's advice on here!!