DIY Aiptasia Killer using Electrolysis

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by dustin0479, Feb 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. borge

borge Astrea Snail

closed because of a pending patent? lol, a lot of stuff is marked pat.pending, most of it is also in a specific country, or rather not in every country.
    Now making a device like this is not unlawful and certainly not very difficult.
    Selling them and branding them can soon be, but nothing in this thread makes it particularly deserving of closing.

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I agree, not unlawful when you fabricate anything for home use, except meth and other drugs :p

Now, back to the seriousness of the original topic and idea, I know instructions are very detailed, but can you re-upload or re-link the pictures? I'm a visual aid kind of person.

- Milton

4. borge

borge Astrea Snail

haha, ain't we all, ain't we all ;D

5. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I believe I saw a DIY thread elsewhere where paulb commented that he didn't care about people making there own. But anyway not unlawful as long as you aren't charging for it. I have made one a month back and used it for a little then gave it to a friend because I had a hard time maneuvering it because I made the wand so long. I am going to make another that has the graphite separate piece that just clips onto the tank and the stainless part much smaller and not air tight so I don't have to worry about it trying to float away or even worse it not being airtight and getting water touching copper.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

6. milkman

milkman Plankton

Rookie07 has a total of 1 post to warn us of a patent infringement?

I built one from these plans for my own use. Works fine, but difficult to "sneak up" on the aiptasia without them quickly retreating into the rock. Even with the long probe, they are still hard to completely eradicate with the zapper in the rock. If they are exposed, they are pretty easy to melt.

I went back to Aiptasia X this weekend and they seem attracted to the stuff and let me coat their disk with the stuff. Made a dent in the population and plan to add a copper band butterfly as well for maintenance.

7. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

Interesting..good job.
    NetFront/3.5.1(BREW 3.1.5; U; en-us; SAMSUNG; NetFront/3.1.5/WAP) SPHM350BST MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1

8. Click Here!

9. ianryeng

ianryeng Plankton

why graphite?

Hi All,

Great thread, looking to build one shortly to take out some of the aiptasia that recently exploded all over my tank. My only question is regarding the graphite, why not just use another stainless probe for the other end or am I missing something?

Thanks!

-Ian

10. TonyRomano

TonyRomano Plankton

Graphite tip is exposted to water, sealed from side with spring. + side
    Tip is connected to - side.

How close should graphite a SS tip be? I can't quite grasp that detail reading variuos posts.

11. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

It doesn't matter. I have seen ones where the graphite and stainless were separate pieces. The graphite just clipped onto the tank side and stainless was free to move around.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

12. mmcguffi

mmcguffi Plankton

This is fantastic!! Any chance you could possibly fix the pictures though?