DIY Aiptasia Killer using Electrolysis

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by dustin0479, Feb 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dustin0479

dustin0479 Peppermint Shrimp

You can get the stainless wire really cheap at most hardware stores. Just buy the 20' roll of solid stainless picture wire. It is used to hang pictures and is about $6 per roll, it is the same grade stainless just much cheaper.

2. Click Here!

3. rleepremier

rleepremier Plankton

Got all supplies except the wire. The plans you wrote out are actually pretty detailed. Just gotta read them 100 times until it clicks. Lol thanks

4. rleepremier

rleepremier Plankton

Do you know what ga steel? They have 16,22,24. Also is galvanized ok? I was thinking the 16 because it's very sturdy, but maybe too thick?

5. dustin0479

There is no real requirement for the ga, mine was about the thickness of a needle. I would steer clear of galvanized in a sw tank

6. rleepremier

rleepremier Plankton

Used a brand new fishing lure that I bent straight. Works awesome! Thanks for all the help. Time to zap some aiptasia. Is there a limit to how many I should zap so I don't mess up my water? Also is the graphite supposed to bubble also?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  7. milkman

milkman Plankton

OK, I finished my zapper this morning. It was fairly easy once you figured all the wiring detail out. I think I have about $10 invested. The pex I found at Home Depot as Lowes did not have the 1/4" size (about $4 for two 5' sections). The switch was $3 at Radio Shack. Stainless wire was $2 at Westlake Hardware. I already had the wire and the wall wart (12v 500ma).

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. dustin0479

Nice, hope it works well for you.

10. milkman

milkman Plankton

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I have a couple of frag rocks with aiptasia on them. Going to put some of my water change in a 10 gal tank this afternoon with the two aiptasia rocks and try it out before I stick it in my display.

I know it should work fine, but I alway proceed with an abundance of caution :)

11. louie101086

louie101086 Plankton

cant wait to give this a try hope i dont fry my tank

12. rookie07

rookie07 Plankton